Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
gowestwardho

Does anyone know if i can replace this coolant tank?

New to this Board and looking for some immediate guidance on a specific problem with my coolant reservoir (leak). If anyone can answer this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 2001 S with 65,000 miles. I noticed the aforementioned coolant leak. I've ordered the #01 new style cap (wish Porsche had bothered to tell me about that one!) and am waiting for it. in the meantime I am either trying to seal the leak with some plastic weld that another user had success with - OR - I will try and replace the tank itself if need be.

HERE'S THE QUESTION THOUGH:

In every posting I see it refers to just how difficult this DIY job is because "you have to remove the hoses from inside the engine compartment on the other side of the firewall", and "almost need drop the tranny to get to the c-clips".

BUT MINE SURE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT! All I'm seeing are three rubber coolant hoses (SEE ATTACHED!) with c-clamps on both ends, and the oil fill tube, and the oil dipstick line. That's it! So I am left wondering if my build got a newer style coolant reservoir that is easier to remove - OR am I just that stupid and asking for big-trouble in trying to do this?

Anyone know if I remove those three hoses can I A) either move the tank around enough to get to the underside and REALLY seal the leak? OR 2) remove the tank entirely and replace it myself?

Oh, man thank you if you know the answer!

gowestwarho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

This will give you some more insight on the entire process: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Coolant Tank Replacement - 986 / 987
copsahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

i tried it. the problem isn't the lines on the inside of the trunk, it's the ones on the inside of the engine compartment.

if you have a manual, you might have a little easier time, but with the tiptronic and the limited opening provided by the GAHH top, the space was severely limited. so much so that after two days of trying, i finally gave up and took it to a shop. you're essentially working by feel on trying to get the hoses removed from the engine compartment side.

i believe with a manual you have an easier time going up from the wheel area, but the tip takes up so much space that wasn't an option for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

I just purchased my first Porsche, an 01 "S" in CA in May and drove it 2200 miles back to WI. On the way, the coolant reservoir cracked, leaked, and the temp light was blinking. Refilled three times and brought to local Porsche dealer ASAP.

I haven't been a DIYer since college in the early 80s, and I was braced for higher maintenance costs. But WOW!!!! $1700. Main reason dealer stated: difficulty in accessing the lines feeding the tank.

An E-Bay purchase for $4K less than KBB dealer retail made it easier to swallow, but it still was like an Ali punch to the gut.

Everything's been fine since.

Good luck whatever you do.

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote