Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #1

LED TAILIGHTS-- rewiring

I recently purchased a clear set of the Depot Clear led tailights for my 97 Boxster.
I installed them with no issue, but I was terribly disappointed that they dont have any normal led running lights and the side markers arent lightable any more.

I also discovered that the outside banks of LEDS only light up when the fog lights are lit up, as the second bank plugs into that socket.

For me, this is an issue since there is a bad wire somewhere for my passenger fog tailight.
I think it makes more sense and would look cooler for both banks tolight up when braking.
I decided to rewire both led banks to the brakelight wiring, so they would both light up during braking. I used quick connect slicers
Unfortunately there seems to be an issue, if I step on brake once, the standard iside bank lights up, but if I press it again, the second bank comes on. If I keep pressing quickly, both light banks work, but if I stop pressing for 5 seconds, then only the standard inside bank led brake lights work.

I figure is has something to do with capicitors on the led circuit boards, Hasw anyone else tried to rewire the led tailights?
Thanks Eric

Porsche Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

You know that the original wiring is set up that only the driver's side rear fog light is lit, right? (Unless you have a right hand drive car in which case it is the passenger side.)
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #3

No I didn't know that, That explains it! Thought it was wiring HAH? then what purpose does the passenger side outside Fog tailight LED serve? If there is no way to turn on passenger fog light then it is a pointless endeavor. We have no fog here in san antonio, so any suggestions on rewiring will help if anyone has any experiences like mine rewiring so both leds go off when I brake. Like I said I tried, but the "Fog LEDS" only activate if I double tap and keep active the brake...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Yeah, those sneaky Germans hide that kind of info in the owner's manual.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

OK enough picking on the newb. Actually I read from owners manual front to back, thats how I knew they were fog lights, and how to turn them on in the first place, not normal for a car in the US. I must have missed the detail of single fog light.

So back to the LED/FOG LIGHT problem, has anyone else tried to cross wire so both LEDS act as brake lights, instead of the pointless brakelight/foglight combination. I am having an issue with the fog led not coming on intermittantly when I "pigtail" it to the brake light. Works only if I double tap the brake. Surely I am not the only one who was disappointed that the second set of FOG leds serve no purpose. Any elecrical engineers out there familiar with LEDS circuit boards?

And why only driver side foglight anyway? Kooky Germans... hah
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

I think it's so drivers behind you don't think it's brake lights.

Only in Europe though. Here in North America, other drivers will still think it's your brake light and assume that you have a burnt out bulb on the other side!

I just never bother using it.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #7

THAT EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT! HAHAHAH... I have since brought the whole tailight assembly in my house so I can bench test, using my battery charger. Oddly enough off the battery charger at 6 amps and 12 volts I get no light if direct, and only the smaller fog lamps will light if connected to the bulb looking connector, the larger LEDS wont go on just flash on go off. Took back out to car, anyone know what amperage the brakelights run at?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #8

>>> post deleted <<<
Reason: just re-read your original post to find out I was wrong. Apologies for the mess!

Last edited by madmods; 06-14-2011 at 07:26 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #9

Garage
In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog tail lamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energized by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. This is to maximize the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. While providing some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with stop lamps, ECE R48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any stop lamp and any rear fog lamp.

I personally love the lamps when used correctly because you can maintain a safe following distance. Trying to follow a car in the fog with only rear running lights, you have to drive closer to that vehicle to keep the lights in sight, shorting your reaction time.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 06-14-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #10

Makes sense. I live in south Texas. Haven't seen fog for about 2 years.

So I am still having issues getting the two LEDS to light at the same time. Fog lights serve me no purpose here in hot san antonio. I want both LEDS to light when I hit the brake. At first thought, it is easy, IF using regular bulbs, but the cross connected LEDS are having issues.

I am at a loss and I guess nobody has tried what I am trying. I bought these LEDS so my car would look newer and frankly a bit cooler. As it is well people think I have a brakelight stuck on and a bulb burned out on the right.

Calling any electrical engineers in the crowd! LED issues... NEED HELP.
Anyone?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #11

I tried also wiring them to turn on with the brakes and they only do when you tap or press brake for a second time. I got tired of it so went ahead and just plugged the fog lights to my running lights socket. They are awfully bright to be running lights but at least i can use all the LED segments. try it and see if you like it. you might have to cut and re rout the fog light wires throughout the tailights orifices to make them reach the running light socket.
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecc
I tried also wiring them to turn on with the brakes and they only do when you tap or press brake for a second time. I got tired of it so went ahead and just plugged the fog lights to my running lights socket. They are awfully bright to be running lights but at least i can use all the LED segments. try it and see if you like it. you might have to cut and re rout the fog light wires throughout the tailights orifices to make them reach the running light socket.
I don't think that's a great idea
A) you make everyone behind you blind, I mean you got these lights to look good, not to piss off everyone - right?
B) now nobody will notice when you actually hit the brakes for real and eventually you will get rear ended, and guess what the guy who rear ended you will actually have a case that due to your incorrect lighting he couldn't see your brake lights. Oh and did I mention that he hit his head and will sue you for a gadzillion $$$
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #13

I reconfigured to stock and realized for here the running light would never be used and looked like a broken light. I actually tried the leds as running lights--- WAY TOO BRIGHT TO BE SAFE!

I ended up switching the inner LED group for outer LED group as brake and left it at that. It looks a bit fuller and beefier brake light when set to the larger outside LED set. I quick connected all the connections so I can switch it back to original configuration with ease... Someday if I can get both lights to go as brakelights at the same time I will share the secret. Thinking there are different sized capacitors on the board and it can modified at the board. In my free time.. hah.

on a side note Wow surprised to get a response to a post back from so long ago. This forum is great, really tight porsche community. Reminds me of the VW community before the net. Very cool.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I don't think that's a great idea
A) you make everyone behind you blind, I mean you got these lights to look good, not to piss off everyone - right?
B) now nobody will notice when you actually hit the brakes for real and eventually you will get rear ended, and guess what the guy who rear ended you will actually have a case that due to your incorrect lighting he couldn't see your brake lights. Oh and did I mention that he hit his head and will sue you for a gadzillion $$$
I do agree, they are awfully bright, but also has separate LED segments for the brake lights plus the third light. I know several members have done the same, either you like it or you hate it. Trying to figure how to tone it down by making two or three rows of the LED's inactive.
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #15

In this case ther is a standard small running light bulb in the middle, which somewhat disappointed me, No LEDS for running lights at all. The look better than stock by far, but I was disappointed in them a bit, oh well, what do I get for 100 bucks right to make such a dramatic difference on a "Porsche". BTW, I did some research and Porsche translates to "costs twice as much" in german. Look it up, I swear its true! Heh!

Flat Six Smiley!