View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Porsche Enthusiast

LED TAILIGHTS-- rewiring

I recently purchased a clear set of the Depot Clear led tailights for my 97 Boxster.
I installed them with no issue, but I was terribly disappointed that they dont have any normal led running lights and the side markers arent lightable any more.

I also discovered that the outside banks of LEDS only light up when the fog lights are lit up, as the second bank plugs into that socket.

For me, this is an issue since there is a bad wire somewhere for my passenger fog tailight.
I think it makes more sense and would look cooler for both banks tolight up when braking.
I decided to rewire both led banks to the brakelight wiring, so they would both light up during braking. I used quick connect slicers
Unfortunately there seems to be an issue, if I step on brake once, the standard iside bank lights up, but if I press it again, the second bank comes on. If I keep pressing quickly, both light banks work, but if I stop pressing for 5 seconds, then only the standard inside bank led brake lights work.

I figure is has something to do with capicitors on the led circuit boards, Hasw anyone else tried to rewire the led tailights?
Thanks Eric
Porsche Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote