Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Cayman Tiptronic

Hi Gang:

I am looking at purchasing a used 2006 Cayman S. It has Tiptronic and this is a bit new for me. I have always had sticks in my previous Porsches. This is a bit of a concession to others in the family driving the car.

My question is that in the auto mode the car indicates it is starting out in 2nd gear. Is this normal?

Also, the car has 36,000 miles. Is there any major inspection about to come due or any issues with the model I should note?

Thanks for any help offered?

Jerry

airspeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by airspeed1
My question is that in the auto mode the car indicates it is starting out in 2nd gear. Is this normal?
totally normal. if you want to get to 1st, either use the thumb shifter or accelerate quickly.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

You need to go to the Planet 9 forum and read about the issues w/the 2006 Caymen S.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Your car, family and decisions but we mandated that everyone in our house learn to properly drive a stick. This is the only country where you can hop into a car shift into D and go. Most cars in most other countries (and a fair amount here) are manual and (I believe) everyone should be proficient with a manual transmission.

That also eliminates any need to buy an auto for any reason other than "I want to".
Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
That also eliminates any need to buy an auto for any reason other than "I want to".
unless of course you have to...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Good point. We all can drive a stick. But as our commutes involve some tough traffic into Dallas the tiptronic makes some sense. I have "rowed" my way to work a few too many times.

Jerry
airspeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
unless of course you have to...
The automatic transmission was first introduced by Oldsmobile. It was marketed as a way for someone with a disability to drive.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote