Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #1

Car Day!!

I would like others feedback here. I decided since i didnt have anything else to do today, I would spend the day w/ my car. The first thing i did was the moving car top hack. Seems a bit unusable but i thought hey maybe it'll be nice. I was scared to break the #18 pin on the relay so i just cut a really small piece of tape and wrapped it up. It went it perfectly. Next i was checking to see if my external temp. gauge was on the "bumper grille". Sure thing its there. I'm gonna call around and see if i can get my OBC turned on by a local shop. WHILE checking this i notice some leaves and debris on the radiator. After close inspection i notice it was quite a bit. So for lack of better tooling i fashioned a coat hanger to clean this out. You guys would be totally amazed at how much garbage was in there. I cleaned both sides out and together i bet i could completely fill a plastic grocery bag. I then got some wheel cleaner and water 50/50 and soaked the radiators down. Let em sit for about 5 minutes then rinsed for another 5minutes each. I wish the bumper were easier to remove. I would LOVE to get in those radiators w/ some grille fin cleaner. If it didnt have such an acidic solution i'd try it w/ cover on but am scared to. Anyone try this. I dont have issues w/ over heat but figure if i could see this much trash how much is there that i cant see. Let me know if anyone has issues or experience w/ this.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #2

Well, I feel bad that I always seem to point to a reference on renntech.org but there is a 3rd radiator install instruction that show how to remove the front bumper on a 996 and I believe that it's similar to the 986.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=diy&code=diy_rad

I'd be a little nervous using a cleaner without removing the front bumper.

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote