Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 06:57 AM   #1

Question about aftermarket tops w/ glass

I'm pretty conviced that I'm going to get an aftermarket top with a glass window. But my brother drives a Miata and said that the aftermarket ones made for his car are know to crack and break easily. Does this sound like a problem limited to the Miata and the creators of their top or is it possible we could have the same problem?

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #2

I guess there would always be the possibility that the glass they use in the boxster tops is similar to the glass in the miata, but you'll just need to buy it from a company who will stand behind the products they make and or sell.

Ask for a written warranty and see what it covers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #3

If it helps, I have owner eleven Miatas and everyone I have bought I have replaced the top with an Aftermarket Canvas Top with a Glass Window. I have never once had a problem. I am ordering my Boxster's top with a Glass Window very soon.
BoxsterBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #4

I believe I was one of the first to order and install the GAHH top with a glass window, and it is top quality. I do not see how it would crack unless you plan on hitting it with a baseball bat. I have owned alot of convertibles and this is the finest top I have ever had on a car.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #5

^ Mine has been installed and I must agree. But I didn't have the defroster installed because they said it needed a wiring harness to hook up to the hardtop connector and I would have to take it to the Porsche dealer or some ****************. I'm not too worried because I only drive the car when it is nice out anyway.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:30 AM   #6

They were partially right. The connector is located behind the drivers seat up high just behind the left side of your head. It is there because the hardtop with a defroster was an option on your car. All you have to do is look at a wiring schematic or test them with a volt meter to determine which wires to hookup to the seforster connectors. You would need about 6 ft. of wire and I think four female connectors. I have not done it myself either because like you if it is crappy out it does not see pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
^ Mine has been installed and I must agree. But I didn't have the defroster installed because they said it needed a wiring harness to hook up to the hardtop connector and I would have to take it to the Porsche dealer or some ****************. I'm not too worried because I only drive the car when it is nice out anyway.

porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote