Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: oregon
Posts: 9
odor and windshiels fogging when heater on

I am experiencing a foul odor and windshield fogging when my heater is on. If I have coolant seeping in through the heater core. How much $ to repair??

bartocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: oregon
Posts: 9
boxter s 2004

Forgot to mention I have a 2004 Boxter S.
bartocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,237
I'm not sure what it will cost, but DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!! Those are the classic signs of the heater core failing and when it finally lets go, you'll have a pool of antifreeze in your passenger compartment and you'll have to shut off immediately. And this ususally happens at the most inopportune time.

As far as cost goes, members can speculate or relate what they paid but your best bet is to call your local indy shop and ask them. What you find locally is all that matters anyway. You could call the dealer to get a baseline.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I'm not sure what it will cost, but DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!! Those are the classic signs of the heater core failing and when it finally lets go, you'll have a pool of antifreeze in your passenger compartment and you'll have to shut off immediately. And this ususally happens at the most inopportune time.

As far as cost goes, members can speculate or relate what they paid but your best bet is to call your local indy shop and ask them. What you find locally is all that matters anyway. You could call the dealer to get a baseline.
Heater core replacement books out at 1.5 hrs so with a coolant flush and proper bleed, maybe 2.0 hrs. The heater core itself (assuming OEM) is about $360 retail but I have seem them online as cheap as $320 plus shipping. A gallon of the Porsche antifreeze is $35 retail if I remember correctly. I have one (it's a 1997) in the shop right now for this exact thing.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,571
or...

you could just need to change your cabin air filter. Dead mice, decaying leaves etc. will cause a stink.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
or...

you could just need to change your cabin air filter. Dead mice, decaying leaves etc. will cause a stink.
But if your windshield is fogging up plus the smell, that's heater core.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,662
Garage
fogged windshield and foul smell might be a heater core... or clogged condensate drains.

If it smells sweet it is likely coolant. If it smells musty/mildew it is likely just clogged drains.
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: oregon
Posts: 9
input

Thanks for the input.
bartocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
fogged windshield and foul smell might be a heater core... or clogged condensate drains.

If it smells sweet it is likely coolant. If it smells musty/mildew it is likely just clogged drains.
Good point. So Bart, Name That Smell.

If it happens to be the heater core, might as well take advantage of the coolant drain and change out the water pump.

__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page