986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   odor and windshiels fogging when heater on (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29979-odor-windshiels-fogging-when-heater.html)

bartocollector 08-10-2011 03:01 PM

odor and windshiels fogging when heater on

I am experiencing a foul odor and windshield fogging when my heater is on. If I have coolant seeping in through the heater core. How much $ to repair??

bartocollector 08-10-2011 03:12 PM

boxter s 2004

Forgot to mention I have a 2004 Boxter S.

husker boxster 08-10-2011 07:17 PM

I'm not sure what it will cost, but DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!! Those are the classic signs of the heater core failing and when it finally lets go, you'll have a pool of antifreeze in your passenger compartment and you'll have to shut off immediately. And this ususally happens at the most inopportune time.

As far as cost goes, members can speculate or relate what they paid but your best bet is to call your local indy shop and ask them. What you find locally is all that matters anyway. You could call the dealer to get a baseline.

kcpaz 08-10-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster
I'm not sure what it will cost, but DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!! Those are the classic signs of the heater core failing and when it finally lets go, you'll have a pool of antifreeze in your passenger compartment and you'll have to shut off immediately. And this ususally happens at the most inopportune time.

As far as cost goes, members can speculate or relate what they paid but your best bet is to call your local indy shop and ask them. What you find locally is all that matters anyway. You could call the dealer to get a baseline.

Heater core replacement books out at 1.5 hrs so with a coolant flush and proper bleed, maybe 2.0 hrs. The heater core itself (assuming OEM) is about $360 retail but I have seem them online as cheap as $320 plus shipping. A gallon of the Porsche antifreeze is $35 retail if I remember correctly. I have one (it's a 1997) in the shop right now for this exact thing.

Burg Boxster 08-11-2011 03:48 AM

or...

you could just need to change your cabin air filter. Dead mice, decaying leaves etc. will cause a stink.

husker boxster 08-11-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
or...

you could just need to change your cabin air filter. Dead mice, decaying leaves etc. will cause a stink.

But if your windshield is fogging up plus the smell, that's heater core.

Topless 08-11-2011 02:02 PM

fogged windshield and foul smell might be a heater core... or clogged condensate drains.

If it smells sweet it is likely coolant. If it smells musty/mildew it is likely just clogged drains.

bartocollector 08-11-2011 03:02 PM

input

Thanks for the input.

husker boxster 08-12-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless
fogged windshield and foul smell might be a heater core... or clogged condensate drains.

If it smells sweet it is likely coolant. If it smells musty/mildew it is likely just clogged drains.

Good point. So Bart, Name That Smell.

If it happens to be the heater core, might as well take advantage of the coolant drain and change out the water pump.