Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #1

Removing/installing spark plug tubes

I am in the process of replacing my spark plug tubes because oil has been seeping out. The transom boat plug as suggested by many diy's did not work as I couldn't get it to grip the tube. I just inserted a socket with a handle and cracked the tubes at an angle to get it out (hope that is ok). The farthest one inside on the driver's was the most difficult to remove due to the limited clearance. I'm having trouble reinstalling the tube as it won't sit flush. I used the back end of a screwdriver with full force to try to push it in but it is still protruding slightly. Will this be any issue if I leave it slightly protruding?

Also, I noticed that a couple of the plug connectors had damaged rubber tips. Are they still useable or do they need replacement?

ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

It's not likely the o-rings will seal if it isn't pushed in flush. This would be bad.

Suggest putting a little soapy water on the o-rings to let them slide better into their grooves.

Of course, this all assumes that you have looked into the head opening to make certain there aren't any bits of rubber from the plug boots or plastic from the old cracked tube causing clearance issues.

The plug boots don't really look too bad from the pics, but you don't want them arcing to ground and denying the spark energy to the plug.

From the pics, I'd say you could roll the dice and re-use them, but that could lead to an issue of rough running, cels, etc. If you get any of this, then replace them.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #3

Garage
+1 on making sure all the old tube pieces are removed. I recently had to repair a misfire caused by a cracked tube allowing oil in & getting past a coil boot torn less than yours so I would replace the boot or just buy another coil. I use a 1" socket to press in the tube it must be flush to fully seal.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Be sure that you have the spark plug tube exactly lined up to get it to seat all of the way. I had to wiggle them around a little to find the right place and then give them a good push to get them to seat. If its not lined up properly, you'll never get it to seat all the way flush.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Your post reminded me that I had been procrastinating on replacing one of my tubes. I noticed it was leaking when I changed the plugs, but I didn't have the part at the time. I had a couple of hours this afternoon, so I gave it a try.

I agree that the transom plug technique is not as easy as some would have you believe. Turning the handle enough to expand the plug for an adequate grip on the inside of the tube takes more hand strength than most of us white collar workers have. It didn't help that I was working on the front tube on the passenger side which is difficult to reach.

I put the transom plug in about 5 times before I could get it to work. I finally just decided I was going to tighten it as much as I could and on about the sixth try it came out with the tube attached. It may have been that the previous failed attempts had loosened the tube and contributed to the ultimate success. I also cleaned the oil out of the inside of the tube which may have made for a better grip.

I was concerned that putting the new tube in would be difficult too, but I did not have the problem your described. I wonder if part of the broken tube is interfering with your fit.

Good luck and thanks for the inspiration.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote