View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
KevinH1990

Your post reminded me that I had been procrastinating on replacing one of my tubes. I noticed it was leaking when I changed the plugs, but I didn't have the part at the time. I had a couple of hours this afternoon, so I gave it a try.

I agree that the transom plug technique is not as easy as some would have you believe. Turning the handle enough to expand the plug for an adequate grip on the inside of the tube takes more hand strength than most of us white collar workers have. It didn't help that I was working on the front tube on the passenger side which is difficult to reach.

I put the transom plug in about 5 times before I could get it to work. I finally just decided I was going to tighten it as much as I could and on about the sixth try it came out with the tube attached. It may have been that the previous failed attempts had loosened the tube and contributed to the ultimate success. I also cleaned the oil out of the inside of the tube which may have made for a better grip.

I was concerned that putting the new tube in would be difficult too, but I did not have the problem your described. I wonder if part of the broken tube is interfering with your fit.

Good luck and thanks for the inspiration.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote