Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

Dont know what to do.. New Car? ZO6, 996?

So I've been thinking my 99 pale yellow Boxster is under powered. And at 201 HP i am sure it is. It only has 67k miles on it but i have been thinking i need something with more ZIP. I have been looking at the later C5 ZO6 the 405hp models. Great power, cheap...probably in both respects and not super heavy... in the 3100 range. Or perhaps and early 2000's 996 Carrera. Although less power, the quality and resale will certainly be higher than the GM. But what i really want is just a swapped 3.6 or larger more HP motor in my boxster lol. It is the most fun thing to drive ever! Super lightweight, mid engine, great quality! What more can you ask for!
Unfortunately i think this option would end up being the most expensive. I also cant really transport anything with my Boxster, such things as kayaks, surfboards, standup paddle boards, or even my road bike. I dont think the Z06 has any kind of rack, but it has a solid top, and must! I know the Carrera has roof rack holes that flip over which is great, superb german engineering as always!

What to do!

funlovinguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
You need two cars... A Boxster and a Subie outback. Kayaks, bikes and surfboards don't belong on sports cars (ask me how I know).
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
You need two cars... A Boxster and a Subie outback. Kayaks, bikes and surfboards don't belong on sports cars (ask me how I know).
That's what I do, except my Subie is a WRX because I need to keep it sporty!

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-26-2011 at 11:47 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #4

99-01 996s with average mileage (65-75k) will probably run you at least $21-23 depending on year and options. An 02-04 will probably run $25-28 with similar mileage. Z06 before the 05 change will probably fun in the high 18s up to $24k... Last year was a good time to pick up an early 996 as they could be had for a great price (under $18k) but the prices have gone up a bit this year... You could always sell the 2.5 for an S..
waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #5

How do you know But seriously, id like to hear you elaborate

Well lets see, i have known 2 cars would be better, however, 2 cars, 2 payments, 2 insurances...things add up very quickly
1 roof rack and seems much cheaper

I have noticed the prices on the Z and the 996 are going up
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

Garage

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_roof_transport/box_roof_transport_page1.htm
Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I'm with VitaminC, I think he gave you your answer right there. You're not going to find much more storage in the same generation 996, as they're the same from the doors forward as a Boxster, and clearly are lacking a rear trunk for obvious reasons. While you may end up with more space in the back of a C5 Z06, I doubt it's by much when you total up both the Boxster's trunks. You may just have to get creative and sometimes selective with what you do store in your trunks. I noticed you didn't mention golf clubs, so I'm not going to bother making any points on that, as your idea of sports seems to be more along the lines of actual activity. (No offense to any avid golfers)

None of the three cars really screams the utuility you're looking to achieve, so I would say in that aspect, enjoy what you have, not that you'll be trying to flick the car around bends with a kayak up top (at least I hope not).

Now regarding power, from the prices you're likely to pay to get a 996 or Z06, I would imagine you should be able to get yourself an engine swap done for nearly the same, if not less, in the end. Others with more experience or knowledge in the matter would have to confirm/deny this, but I can't imagine you'd be paying $24k in the end to swap to something like a 3.4. Try getting in touch with Jake Raby of Flat 6 Innovations. He's right across the street from you in Georgia, and that's his bread and butter. :dance:

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Now regarding power, from the prices you're likely to pay to get a 996 or Z06, I would imagine you should be able to get yourself an engine swap done for nearly the same, if not less, in the end. Others with more experience or knowledge in the matter would have to confirm/deny this, but I can't imagine you'd be paying $24k in the end to swap to something like a 3.4. Try getting in touch with Jake Raby of Flat 6 Innovations. He's right across the street from you in Georgia, and that's his bread and butter. :dance:
That's assuming he gets nearly nothing for his car when he sells it.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
That's assuming he gets nearly nothing for his car when he sells it.
Touché, sir.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #10

HAHAHa you guys are hilarious. Actually i would be wanting to flick my car around corners at full speed kicking the rear end around with a kayak attached to the top lol... Jk

I have discovered the golf club issue, they make a nice, bug ugly passenger, with the top down, unless i cram them individually in the trunk.

My reason behind the z06 and 996 are, they have a solid room, for a roof rack, for when i do wanna transport something, while im not maxing my cornering G's

996 and z06 have alot more HP, and solid roofs

In response to the 24k for the swap. Is that 24k in parts and labor in addition to what i already bought my car for or.... or for 24k i get a new boxster with a 3.4 Sorry if i am misunderstanding. Correct me if i am wrong the 3.4 is rated at 296 hp....right?

Last edited by funlovinguy24; 07-26-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Yeah, I was just throwing a figure out there based on what others were saying is the going range for the cars you're interested in, I really don't know what parts and labor could total out to be for you, I just don't believe that it's the same as the cost of one of the other two cars. Blue2000s was referring to you getting trade-in value for your car toward one of the two, which I wasn't really taking into consideration.

No, I'm talking about dropping an engine into your 99, not swapping your 99 for another car with the larger engine in it (unless you find someone willing to do that, lol). There's actually a yellow 99 like yours with a 3.4 up here where I am that some guy's trying to sell for something like $34k, which I think is pretty outrageous.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #12

Garage

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/trailer/

IMHO, the Boxster is not the tool for the job you're trying to accomplish (i.e., carrying things). The price differential between your Boxster and the other options you mentioned would easily cover a nice little Subie or pickup to haul stuff around.

If you want to go faster in a straight line, just sell the 986 and get something with a bigger engine (i.e., 986S ).

First, you should figure out what you really want...
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Here we go. Refer to the link.

http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop/product.php?productid=16159&cat=371&page=1

What I don't know is if this is just the price for the engine and then there's labor on top of that, or if this is the price you'd pay to purchase and have Flat 6 drop it in for you, but I'm gonna doubt the latter. (EDIT:Apparently I can't read, first sentence indeed says that the cost shown doesn't include installation/shipping, at least when it comes to CPO engines...I'm on a roll today).

Also remember that you can track down an S anywhere from MY2000 on. It may not have 405hp, but it'll have plenty more than 201.

EDIT: BTW, you can mount the roof rack with a hardtop on the vehicle, the total of the two items still coming in waaaay below the cost of another car.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 07-26-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Epiphany...
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #14

although I might agree that at 240-270 hp a car of this weight seems to come alive out of corners most people never really even put that to the test. Toll booth racers.

You'll get bored with 310 hp just like you'll get bored with 210 hp. Then you'll get bored with 410 hp. After a few days or weeks you get used to your new power and every time you get into a more powerful car you'll say "I need one of these!".
The power game is a no win situation. I also think its a trend that is used to cover up the short comings of many cars in steering, balance, braking, throttle response, etc. And I'm not just talking about sports cars. Look at all these minivans now that have more power than a car raced at LeMans 30 years ago.

point is don't base your car choice on power.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-26-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #15

There is a person here selling another 3.4l boxster but for 15k with a sounds like pretty damaged top....I wonder if the rest of it is damaged.

Also i am aware of the HP issue, and its not at all the only thing factoring into my decision.

Where did you put the trailer hitch on that... our exhausts come out the middle

What is MY2000? I am unfamiliar with this.

Last edited by funlovinguy24; 07-26-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

I recently test drove a 99 with a 3.4. Asking price was $17k. Car was in decent shape to. But the 3.4 is the most troublesome M96 engine as far as cylinder wall failures are concerned.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
My golf clubs fit just fine...take the driver and two hybrids out of bag and put in trunk first and then put the bag in...works great. Good thing the girl friend doesn't play though...would be cramped with two bags
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #18

Contact me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlovinguy24
So I've been thinking my 99 pale yellow Boxster is under powered. And at 201 HP i am sure it is. It only has 67k miles on it but i have been thinking i need something with more ZIP. I have been looking at the later C5 ZO6 the 405hp models. Great power, cheap...probably in both respects and not super heavy... in the 3100 range. Or perhaps and early 2000's 996 Carrera. Although less power, the quality and resale will certainly be higher than the GM. But what i really want is just a swapped 3.6 or larger more HP motor in my boxster lol. It is the most fun thing to drive ever! Super lightweight, mid engine, great quality! What more can you ask for!
Unfortunately i think this option would end up being the most expensive. I also cant really transport anything with my Boxster, such things as kayaks, surfboards, standup paddle boards, or even my road bike. I dont think the Z06 has any kind of rack, but it has a solid top, and must! I know the Carrera has roof rack holes that flip over which is great, superb german engineering as always!

What to do!
... directly at Pedro@PedrosGarage.com.
I can help you with both things (cargo transportation and more power) and can save you a ton of money.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
What is MY2000? I am unfamiliar with this.
Model Year 2000 , when the Boxster S was introduced.

You should definitely talk to Pedro, he's awesome!

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:

What to do!
Don't compromise, have a 3.4-3.6 installed in your car sell your 2.5 for $3,500 & for God's sake buy yourself a proper pickup truck before you get run out of the State!

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote