Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

I agree with doing the upgrade engine swap in the Boxster. The 996 or C5 isn't really going to solve your problems any better or any cheaper.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #22
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
All right, funlovin', along with everything else getting thrown your way in this thread, I thought I'd add some more, give you plenty of options to choose from. Give it a read.

http://www.flat6innovations.com/engines/performance-parts-a-services/5-performance-engine-modifications

I was actually discussing this thread with a buddy of mine (one of those VW boys ) and he more or less had this to say: He used to own a MkIV Jetta 1.8T, which tipped the scales at maybe 3300-3400lbs with him in it, I'd imagine. Now we're talking a front-drive sedan here, and he had it modified to put down about 230hp and 270lb-ft to the wheels, and that thing was quick for what it was, and fun. there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same with a car that's actually better suited to putting power like that to the ground and handle like a car with that sort of power, weighing in at maybe the 3000 mark.

Now while I couldn't give you any guaranteed numbers from the options Jake Raby elaborates on in that page, I can definitely say this would be a path I'd consider taking, very likely getting Boxster S power, and then some, from your stock engine for $5-6,000, and adding reliability and longevity to the engine on top of that. You get to bump your 2.5 up to a 2.7 and eliminate some of the trouble areas that plague these engines at the same time. Again, I know it's not 405hp, but an extra 60 or more horses in the same car would be plenty for me to have a whole new feeling of fun in my car, and you still get your roof rack, too. (To be honest, I've never seen anyone put anything on the roof of their Corvette, especially not a Z06).

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #23

MY 2006 987 S is for sale here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150634578703&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

295 HP/ 6 spd, still a boxster and even better than a 986! (In my opinion)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #24

Great Car Quickurt! However, that is out of my price range by ALOT. I think my best bet is to find someone who is already selling a 3.4l preferably 3.6l transplanted 2000 or so. The 986 models are lighted and doing the swap in my car would probably put it out of commission for awhile and i would spend a ton more money.

I looked at pedros garage! Very cool website and some neat parts! Maybe he should have an option where you sent in your own t piece and he sends the modified one back at a discount?
funlovinguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #25

I can sell you a trailer hitch that I used to pull a small utility trailer. I was also able to use it as the bottom mounting point for a standard bike rack too.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #26

^ Are those RE-11's?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
Pat

Nitto NT-01s
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Nitto NT-01s
How do you like them?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #29

I would drop the idea of hauling anything around with a Z or 996 too. You probably should decide what you need for your lifestyle then work with that. My lifestyle in the mountains is climbing, skiing, back-country 4-wheeling and road biking. That's why my Boxster is a toy and my "life-style" daily vehicle is:

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #30
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
My lifestyle in the mountains is climbing, skiing, back-country 4-wheeling and road biking. That's why my Boxster is a toy and my "life-style" daily vehicle is:

need a thumbs up smiley.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote