Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Current Cars

Brake pads

My 01 needs some new brake pads. Any suggestions on brands I should use ??

Neekk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Yeah ************************************************************. Order the mintex. I noticed zero difference from the OEM to Mintex.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

I'm a fan of EBC reds. Really good bite and minimal dust.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

If you're just looking for OEM replacement, try standard Mintex, Textar, or Pagid. All of these manufacturers are OEM suppliers to Porsche so you'll get basically the same pad as stock at a lower price.

If you're looking for an upgrade over stock, +1 for EBC RedStuff. They work great, are long lasting, no squealing like pure race pads, and won't fade even on the track (based on 9 track days since I installed my set). They are an excellent middleground between stock and race pads. And another big plus is almost no brakedust.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Current Cars

I have researched both on-line and the price difference is like $45/$50 for the mintex vs over $100 for the red ones and its not my everyday driver so im wondering which to choose.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Neek, I typically spend a little more on my boxster because it's not my daily driver and I want the best stopping power possible (just in case I really, really need it!)

I ran Textars and Mintex and found them both to be decent pads. Now I'm running Pagid reds and they're a little better IMHO.

Opinions about pads, oil, oil weight, and tire brands here on this forum are o'plenty and if you ask 100 people, you'll get at least 75 unique answers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Neek, I typically spend a little more on my boxster because it's not my daily driver and I want the best stopping power possible (just in case I really, really need it!)
So you don't need good brakes on your daily driver? What kind of logic is that?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
Current Cars

well yes of course i want good pads but i guess i should have stated that i dont need ones that are rated for racing.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neekk1
well yes of course i want good pads but i guess i should have stated that i dont need ones that are rated for racing.
Nor do you want pads rated for racing. They chew up the disk, squeal like crazy and don't really work very well until hot.

The ebc reds are a street pad with a ceramic matrix, which makes a lighter colored dust than metal matrix pads, and is easy on rotors. They also have very good cold and hot performance.

The OEM pads are better than most stock pads on other cars and the Boxster is one of the best braking cars in existance so you'll be fine with OEM. But there is a noticeable difference with the EBC pads. You don't have a wrong choice here.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-23-2011 at 06:50 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #10

Ekam, the brakes on my DD are actually far better than my Boxster. My 550i has the best brakes of any car I have owned.

I just spend more on Boxster pads because they will not get worn out as fast so I treat myself and go from "very good" to "very very good" pads.

Plus, I tend to drive the Boxster far more aggressively than my BMW, hence the better pads that wear out faster and create a lot of dust.

Hope that makes sense now.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #11

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/april/cars/best-and-worst/breaking-distance/index.htm

Not sure how your BMW 550i can brake quicker than the Boxster when it's the best out of all vehicles tested by Consumer Reports. I know this is a 2011 report but Boxster has consistently beat the chart for quite a while.

Since the boxster have very good brakes stock you shouldn't need to improve on it unless there's something wrong with your boxster's brakes.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #12

Ekam, you make a good point. However, the weights of the cars are drastically different and so is the age of the cars and their onboard technology (my boxster's a 1997 and the BMW is a 2007).

The brakes in the Boxster are quite good and I've no complaints... I just don't use them nearly as much as I brake in my BMW, and I brake completely differently as well, so it's quite subjective to me. The Bimmer will probably get factory pads next go-around to preserve the rotors longer and for the fact that the factory pads are quite good.

But we're hijacking this thread in a serious way now. Neekk1 wanted to know which pads are best for his boxster.

Neekk1, I've tried three different types of brake pads on my boxster since I bought it seven years ago, just to see if I could find a low squeak, low dust, street pad that didn't compromise braking in cold or hot situations. I think I'll spring for EBC pads next time around and see if the EBC pads make a big difference over the brands I've tried thus far.

If budget is of any concern, choosing Textar, Mintex, or Pagid will not give you any regrets with typical street performance. These are the brands I've tried and I did not dislike any of them.

You know, we should query the entire forum about what pads they are running and see which ones are the most popular. I'll see if I can set up a new thread with a poll on it.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

The standard Textar, Mintex, or Pagid will be great for your daily driver.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I put Mintex on mine (made by TMD, it makes several other OEM also). The Mintex were really inexpensive and worked great.
I didn't like the dust so replaced with Akebono...no dust. I have them on my Benz and before I put them on I had dust in 40 miles...know I can go a month and I only clean them to keep them perfect.
Don't let others tell you they aren't good enough, I use them on both cars now and they stop on a dime.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote