Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #1

Replacement top cost?

What is the going price for replacing a top with a new glass window top. The guy I called is asking $1700 installed for German canvas, not the top of the line acoustic stuff that comes only in black, but comparable to OEM. That seems high to me but I haven't bought a new top in a long time. Do I need to shop around?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #2

That's not too far off the mark for an installed price on a glass-windowed top.

If your car is a 97 - 02 that has the three-bow top and originally had a plastic window then you may want to re-think a glass replacement. The glass window is much smaller and can make engine access difficult. Some people that want a glass rear window for an older car have bought an entire top assembly(4-bow frame and canvas) from an 03-04 car and swapped it out. Apparently it's really easy to do - much easier than changing just the canvas

If you go with just the canvas replacement then you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. There are some excellent DIY tutorials floating around, notably Mike Focke's. You can buy a decent top with a plastic window for about $400 - $500 and it's a day's work for you and a mechanically-inclined buddy.

You may also want to order a pair of the upgraded plastic ball sockets ahead of time. If you have an older car with the original red sockets then it is very likely that you will find that one or both are either cracked or broken and then you will be waiting a week or so for parts before you can finish the job.

There has been lots posted about this particular project. If you do a search of the forum you'll find tons of helpful info.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #3

I put a new top on the wife's Miata a few years back. I put the drip rail in wrong and wound up with water under the carpet in the cabin and in the trunk. I ended up taking it to a shop and having it done over. I think I'll leave the top to a Pro. Getting one from an 03-04 is a great idea if I can find one. I have a hard top I keep on most of the time and my top is in good shape as a result, but for the plastic window. I'm not sure how the top has remained almost like new while the window discolored pretty bad. If 1700 is the price I guess I'll just have to decide if I want to do it bad enough. The wife has a 968 that could use a new top too, and that one could be even more I suppose as there aren't too many of them around. It just sits though. She has put less than 5k miles in the past five years on the car and the top hasn't been up in months. I'm not inclined to spend any money on it I don't have to. The Boxster is a different story. I just keep spending $ on it, even when I don't need to. it's a sickness.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshirk
I have a hard top I keep on most of the time and my top is in good shape as a result, but for the plastic window. I'm not sure how the top has remained almost like new while the window discolored pretty bad.
Have you tried some Plexus?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Just received a quote this week to replace the top on my 99 Boxster with a gah-top w/plastic window here in Orlando FL, $1537.00 & about +$300 for the glass version (that includes installation).

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
For a Robbins or GAHH top with a glass window on my 97 the parts plus labor was looking to be about $1700-1800, about which $700 was labor.

See if the person you spoke to will be willing to do the job if you purchase the top yourself and have them install it for the cost of labor. If they are, you can save yourself a few hundred dollars on the top by going to www.autotopsdirect.com. Since you're not going for the top of the line acoustic model, it'll likely be a good amount less than the retail cost from the shop purchasing it. Usually it's about a $200 difference in cost, so it's an option you can consider.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

sounds about right. the top was $1000 and another 500 (or so) for installation.

i am glad i got the glass top. a little bit of a pain but so far nothing too bad. would not think twice to do it again.

i still have the old top - black with clear plastic. if you want it it's yours (or anyone else who might want one), just pay for shipping or come pick it up (pm for more info). apparently the plastic was replaced at some point, but there are no tears. though since it's been sitting in the closet for a while it does have a crease but i would think that would come out after being put in and stretching for a bit.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #8

Hey Kabel, this is Jerry also in Orlando. Who quoted you that price, I sent you a private email. Thanks

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #9

Nort from Nort Northam Collection in Winter Park.

Nort is one of the chapters founding members and does a lot of club racing, great guy.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #10

Norts a good guy he did my leather seats ,1968 280sl. You might want to contact Zots garage.I live in ocoee.

ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote