Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #1

Talking After market warranty data base

Hi guys,

Since so many of us have Boxes that are out of warranty, I thought it might be useful to collect the experiences of those of you who have purchased an aftermarket warranty, the good, bad and the ugly!

Please share with us your experiences as completely and candidly as you can. Use names and other specific facts if you can.

This may be one of the more valuable threads we can post to.

Thanks for joining in.

Bruce (Rich)

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:06 AM   #2

My 2001 still has warranty til August (48 mo). I asked about getting an extended warranty through the Porsche dealer, was told "no can do".
Will be interested in hearing if aftermarkets are an option.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:34 AM   #3

If I got any aftermarket warranty it would be from these guys:

www.warrantydirect.com

I guess thier actually regulated by the insurance industry.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #4

Talking

Depending on the state you are in, warranty companies may be required to be regulated by the insurance dept of that state. This does provide SOME protection against insolvency and to some degree, provide for a complaint mechanism with the state.

In many states, there warranties are not considered as insurance, which they clearly are.

Buyer beware, no?

On another note, wouldn't it make sense for Porsche to offer an extended warranty other than at the time of initial purchase???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
If I got any aftermarket warranty it would be from these guys:

www.warrantydirect.com

I guess thier actually regulated by the insurance industry.

KRZ
Old 06-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #5

Warranty Direct is awesome

I have a '99 Boxster w/ Warranty Direct and 0 deductible.

They paid all repairs and received $30 per day allowance for loaner.

It has more than paid for itself.

Highly recommend..
atwnsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #6

Ordered one, but sent it back after reading it.

Warrenty Direct sent me the contract, but it was so restrictive that I sent it back. I sent it within the 30 days for a full refund and they tried to get out of sending back all of my money. I had proof of when they received it, so they gave in and returned the rest of my premium. BE SURE TO READ THE WHOLE CONTRACT!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM986
Warrenty Direct sent me the contract, but it was so restrictive that I sent it back. I sent it within the 30 days for a full refund and they tried to get out of sending back all of my money. I had proof of when they received it, so they gave in and returned the rest of my premium. BE SURE TO READ THE WHOLE CONTRACT!
TOM986,

I have been looking at warrany direct for some time they seemed to be a good company, could you please expand on what you mean by restrictive. Do you have a copy of the contract that you could post on this forum???? I have to agree with Bruce this could be one of the most important and informative post on this forum!!!

Mike

2003 Audi TT quattro Coupe
6-speed 225 HP Black/Black/Black
it's stock...no really it's stock man

My other car was a 2001 Boxster
MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #8

Brucelee Quote:
"On another note, wouldn't it make sense for Porsche to offer an extended warranty other than at the time of initial purchase???????".

Seems like they would. They could charge their normal exorbitant prices and I probably would have taken it anyway because it was through the dealer...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #9

Talking

When Porsche issues a CPO warranty, it charges the dealer $1500 for the contract. It seems to me that they could do the same with direct sales to existing Porsche owners under the standard factory warranty.

Now, the buyer would also have to have the car inspected by a Porsche service shop and be brought up to standard but then, the overall cost should still be reasonable.

Why doesn't Porsche do this? Well, it COULD be that they want to give their dealers an edge in selling their used cars.

What do you think?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #10

Those wiley Porsche guys...

I checked out the site for Warranty Direct.

Coverage: Covers all BUT: Battery; shock absorbers; manual transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc & pressure plate; throw out bearing; manual and hydraulic linkages; GPS/navigation systems; safety restraint systems; glass; lenses; sealed beams; bulbs; brake rotors & drums; TV/video/game systems; weather strips; exterior body parts/ornamentation; paint; upholstery & carpet; tires; wheels/rims; phone systems; exhaust and emissions systems.

Quote I got on my 2001 with 14,700 miles was $1625, or $1725 with added emissions control equipment coverage. Coverage would be for 4 years/60,000 miles. An inspection is required. Doesn't seem too bad a first glance (how much will I spend the first time my top goes crooked?), but the real test is whether they come through when something happens.

Any other first hand experience with this firm? Or other firms? Thanks much.

It just strikes me that most people (like me) tend to go without when the factory warranty ends.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #11

I had only about 60days left on the factory warranty...and no expirence with Porsche to speak of, so I bit for an extended 'service contract' (I think that's how they get around the state insurance comissions.)

Rather than ones where you simply pre-pay for repairs you might not need .. with this one: I paid up-front...BUT: I get most of the money back if I don't use it. This cotract expires in March 2010, or 80,000mi (I have about 17,500 now) and of the total cost of $1920.- I get $1810. back if I don't use it.

My original post: An extended warranty with a twist: all the money back.

Shsssssssssh - no noises!

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #12

wetstuff,

I went to Intercontinental Warranty Services website and since I belong to a Credit Union I wanted to get a "Free Quote". When I got down to the Make and Model information "Porsche" was NOT on their list of cars. Too good to be true? My 2001 warranty is up in July.
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #13

Talking

It is not unusual for warranty companies to lay off the Porsche market. Other exotics also get declined.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #14

Contract

The contract that I received was for mechanical only. This would excluded any seals or the famous RMS. I got to thinking how many things go wrong that are not mechanical parts and decided that it was too restrictive. See my earlier post.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:32 PM   #15

Sp_007: Me too - no P listing. I just entered ACURA..or whatever was first and then told them when they called me. They do it. Hell, I'd call the CU. I can't imagine yours would be much more/less than mine?! I even sneaked the 'S' by them... (always expecting the raised eyebrow w/ German half smile.)

Off topic: We also have an 01 Merc ML320 and it was almost double if I remember correctly... Boy, MB's fallen into a tar pit. (I've not had an real problems with it.)

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #16

AAA After Market Warranty

I just purchased an extended warranty for my 03 S which still has over a year of factory cover left and 12,000 miles on it.

The warranty runs for 7 years (from purchase date of the warranty) or 85,000 total odometer miles and matches the factor bumper to bumper warranty.

Price is about $2,300 paid over 12 months, fully refundable in the first 60 days if I decide I don't like the idea.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #17

Can you provide more info.

Name of company

Miles on your car right now?

Website address

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchris
I just purchased an extended warranty for my 03 S which still has over a year of factory cover left and 12,000 miles on it.

The warranty runs for 7 years (from purchase date of the warranty) or 85,000 total odometer miles and matches the factor bumper to bumper warranty.

Price is about $2,300 paid over 12 months, fully refundable in the first 60 days if I decide I don't like the idea.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #18

Name of company : AAA (See post title)

Miles on your car right now? : 13,100 (they backdated the warranty as 12k makes a difference)

Website address : http://www.aaa.com

You have to be a AAA member, they also say you have to buy it within ten days of purchase but after the ten days are up there seem to suddenly be way around that.

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #19

I've got the top level coverage from Warranty Direct with emissions coverage. I actually spoke to a human on the phone, and they answered all my questions. The top is covered (although not against wear), as well as all seals. And they'll cover repairs at the dealer. Price for my 2001 was a little over $2k to extend coverage to 100k miles or four years. At the time I think my car had 44k on it and had one month left on the warranty.

I've not yet had to use it.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #20

It's going to be very valuable information as the extended warranty holders actually have claims... so all of you be sure to come back to this thread and add your experiences with the companies you've used.

Sadly, my 97 with 87k is no longer eligible for any extended warranties. I'd like to know for the next Boxster I buy though! (Shhhh. Don't tell my wife I typed that).

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote