Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

howling noise from front right wheel

My 2000 boxer 2.7 has 44k and has a howling noise that seems to be coming from the right front wheel, doesnt seem to matter if a/c is on or off. Only makes this noise sometimes when car is moving, at many different speeds. Noise will go away when I let up on gas or accelerate. It almost sounds like a harmonic whind noise. I removed the wheel and spun the hub, It doesnt seem to be a bad wheel bearing. Has anyone had this same problem, and a possible solution

James maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James maddox
My 2000 boxer 2.7 has 44k and has a howling noise that seems to be coming from the right front wheel, doesnt seem to matter if a/c is on or off. Only makes this noise sometimes when car is moving, at many different speeds. Noise will go away when I let up on gas or accelerate. It almost sounds like a harmonic whind noise. I removed the wheel and spun the hub, It doesnt seem to be a bad wheel bearing. Has anyone had this same problem, and a possible solution
It sounds like Mein Kamph mit der Fahren Geist. This is loosly translated as my struggle with the travel ghost. Chimes in from time to time and I have learned to share the road with the bugger as I can't sort it out. I stuffed paper towels around the gas cap and it still howls. So at this point I have come to terms and my new Charlie Chan muffler tends to drown the damn ghost out.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #3

I'm pretty sure this is the gas tank vent system. There are a couple of small electrically operated valves in a rectangular plastic housing behind the right front fender liner. I've read some posts where people have fixed it by replacing one of the valves. I think you can also get to the valve body if you take the right side headlight out.

My car sounded like there was a ghost inside the gas cap. Woooooooooo - sort of a flute sound. I drove around for about a month with the fender liner off while checking out my sound. Eventually the wires leading to the valves fell down and rubbed on the tire and wore through. I got a CEL, fixed the wires and never heard the sound again even though I didn't change the valves. I have a feeling my fuel tank pressurized when the wires were broke and somehow the pressure blew out something that was blocking the vent gas path. The valve body housing has a pair of tubes controlled by the valves. I think one goes to the charcoal cannister and the other to the atmosphere near the filler door. The valve housing is filled with some kind of open cell foam that might get clogged with dirt on an old car.

The Durametric unit will cycle the valves if you want to test their action.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K
I'm pretty sure this is the gas tank vent system. There are a couple of small electrically operated valves in a rectangular plastic housing behind the right front fender liner. I've read some posts where people have fixed it by replacing one of the valves. I think you can also get to the valve body if you take the right side headlight out.

My car sounded like there was a ghost inside the gas cap. Woooooooooo - sort of a flute sound. I drove around for about a month with the fender liner off while checking out my sound. Eventually the wires leading to the valves fell down and rubbed on the tire and wore through. I got a CEL, fixed the wires and never heard the sound again even though I didn't change the valves. I have a feeling my fuel tank pressurized when the wires were broke and somehow the pressure blew out something that was blocking the vent gas path. The valve body housing has a pair of tubes controlled by the valves. I think one goes to the charcoal cannister and the other to the atmosphere near the filler door. The valve housing is filled with some kind of open cell foam that might get clogged with dirt on an old car.

The Durametric unit will cycle the valves if you want to test their action.

Thanks, that is exactly the sound mein geist makes, not unlike blowing over the top of a bottle. Will have to check out those valves and thank you.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #5

I bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James maddox
My 2000 boxer 2.7 has 44k and has a howling noise that seems to be coming from the right front wheel, doesnt seem to matter if a/c is on or off.

... you ran over a banshee they can really howl!

j/k of course but I hope you find it, banshee or not.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Garage
I found at least a temporary solution for this by installing a tapered rubber plug in the vent hole with an 1/8" hole drilled through it. This solved whatever resonance issue was causing the noise, hopefully while maintaining the ability to create a vent to atmosphere when needed. I have a durametric cable, and am in the process of setting that software up so I can test the valves. I hope to avoid the usual situation in which a "temporary" solution is forever. :-)
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #7

My since six years temporary solution was to cut a piece of a regular car washing sponge and insert it in the hole. Only half way so it can be easily taken out while fueling. No issues yet.

spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote