Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #21

Butterfingers - As others have said, getting the control unit out of the dash is dead simple. Just use a small screwdriver to pop off the trim piece, then you have to remove 2 screws. The controller then just pulls out. Then you unplug the 2 connectors on back (hold down a little piece on the top of each plug to get it to release while you pull).

To open the controller: On mine there are 3 screws holding the front LCD portion to the read main body. The circuit board on the back of the LCD is connected to a circuit board inside the controller body by a small computer-style cable.

The eBay vendor says in his ad: Porsche Boxster with similar LCD display. "Requires minor modification to existing LCD mounting bracket for proper installation. LCD is electrically and visually identical to Porsche OEM with a slightly wider LCD glass. Please contact for additional info.". I sent him some questions yesterday; no response yet.

Like: What minor modifications are required to the existing mounting bracket? Does the "slightly wider LCD glass" fit into the controller body properly? What "additional info" does he have?

What exactly have you been provided in the way of hardware? What instructions did he supply to help answer the questions?

thx Norm

clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfingers
The seller has informed me that a 2002 Boxster owner had purchased the replacement and found out that the dimensions are alittle different.

However, the seller has knowledge that it does fit some of the earlier car models. Since I own a 2001, I am hoping that it will fit my unit.

BUT, I if anyone can let me know if there was any change in the dimensions of the climate control unit from the 2001 to 2002 and later years, please let me know before I start the 'surgery'...Thanks!

This is because I am uncertain if I start the surgery and open the unit up, and find that the size is not compatible, than I would have 'destroyed' my otherwise still functioning unit (just the marring of the LCD leak). I would rather have the blob on my LCD and still control the inut with a partial screen for now than take it apart, fail to repair, and end up with the need to immediately replace the whole unit.

Josh
butterfingers - I'm sure others will correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I THINK Porsche went to the "bus"-type distributed control system in 2003, so they should be pretty much the same for at least 2001 - 2002, but I HAVE NOT LOOKED UP THE PART NUMBERS TO SAY THAT'S FOR SURE. For example, I see others in this thread (like FrayAdjacent) have 4 screws connecting the 2 controller halves, while mine has 3, even though we both have MY2001. (Talk about being no help at all ) Norm

Last edited by clickman; 04-09-2007 at 04:58 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #23

butterfingers... did you ever use the kit??? Anyone use the kit with success?
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #24

Yes, no problems.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #25

Adding Success

Updating this thread as I too just used the LCD Repair kit to fix my burnt out numbers on the temp. control unit. Was super easy - at most, took about a half hour start to finish. Yes, your display will look SLIGHTLY different - but it will work!
Totally happy with the results.

Somewhere someone mentioned you have to modify the kit to fit. This is false, at least for me and my 02. Pop the old out, install the new and done. No modification needed - this kit if for 986's.

Porsche Climate Control LCD Repair Kit | ModuleMaster