Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Garage
Jackass in a 997 GT3

It's a shame that Jackass star Ryan Dunn died while "piloting" his '07 997 GT3. What really bothers me is that he was only going a reported 110mph. By the looks of the car I would have guessed he was going faster. I'm sure the producers of Jackass are kicking themselves for not being able to record the crash.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

As drunk as he supposedly was, that 110 probably felt like 200

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
kpm

In Pa. the armco is mounted to steel I beams sunk in the shoulder. If you deform the armco it's like driving through a wood chipper. That's why there was only a floor pan and a the front firewall left.

Wonder what was left of the motor.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Tragedy

The only tragedy is that the rest of the cast wasn't in the back seat.
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

Saw the crash site today first hand.
It is a Y intersection...
By the look of the skid marks, he made a last minute decision to take the right fork of the road.
The car, on the other hand, decided to take the middle fork.
They were still cleaning up debris at noon.
Looked more like a small plane had crashed into the woods.
Sick, yet sad.
2012 Boxster S Black Edition #129
129/987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster101
The only tragedy is that the rest of the cast wasn't in the back seat.
Wow...that's pretty harsh (Were the movies that bad??)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

Yea, read about this today.. what a beautiful car! what a waste...

Hell of a way to go though. Buckle up fellas!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #8

Wow, I can't believe some of those remarks. The bar owner said he's not a big drinker so who knows if he was drunk or not. He shouldn't have been driving like that if he'd been drinking, but who really knows what happened. At the end of the day 2 people died.

I think some of the members here need to sell their car and go buy something more suitable for their old grandpa cruising ways and quit acting like driving a PORSCHE hard or fast is crazy. Is it wreckless sure, but to each his own.

I managed to hit 149 in my car Sunday and had I wrecked and died I would have gone out with the biggest grin on my face. Wouldn't have liked it any other way
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D

I managed to hit 149 in my car Sunday and had I wrecked and died I would have gone out with the biggest grin on my face. Wouldn't have liked it any other way
Doing it on the street is inexcusable... you may be willing to die on the street, but the others who are on the roads didn't sign up for that.

If you want to go fast, take it to the track.

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdex
Doing it on the street is inexcusable... you may be willing to die on the street, but the others who are on the roads didn't sign up for that.

Amen.

RIP Ryan Dunn and his passenger.
zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdex

Good quote, just add sober to it....

I like to party with the best of them from time to time, however what Ryan did was very stupid.

Must have been under some serious pressure to let loose like that and to take another life in the process is just plain ignorance...

I have known cases where people have committed vehicular homoside before and the attourneys come looking for the estate of the driver..

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #12

Once again to each his own...I was alone in my car on a 4 lane empty completely straight section of highway where there was nobody coming in either direction as far as I could see. I knew the risks and there wasn't anybody else around who didn't "sign" up to get hurt. Making a quick top speed run and then immediately returning to normal speed wasn't that big of a deal.

Why is it inexcusable? Would you say that if I was on the autobahn?

Call it inexcusable, call it what you want, I could really care less your opinion.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #13

Obviously it depends on the situation. The one in which you describe is basically a race track. I think he's referring to the situations where there's a minivan full of kids next to you, or the 16 year old that just got their license and is nervous as hell. There's a time and place for sure...

Highway's your's? Let 'er rip!

Innocent Bystanders? Maybe not so much.

There's also the argument that I don't want my tax dollars going towards fixing guard rails all the time because some guy decided to play 'stig'
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #14

Let me see if I understand the tone of this thread. We all have cars capable of handling curves at more than 30+ mph over the curves posted speed and top speeds of over 150 mph, but we can't use it. If this were so, then Porsche and other exotics should be banned and we should all just drive a Prius or a Smart For 2.

I don't think so.

I'm always sober. When the road is empty and I'm in a place that feels "safe", I too enjoy a burst of speed. Unfortunately we here in the USA don't have an "autobohn" anymore since Montana put a 75 MPH limit on their highways. Yes out here in the west we can find plenty of straight, empty open road to enjoy the limits of our cars. Please don't brand me as a wreckless jerk because I safely enjoy my car.

To tell you the truth, when my wife and I are on a roadtrip, I can't beleive how many Honda Minivans pass us like a Porsche. They seam to have something to prove to the 5 kids in the back. Seriously, we get passed all the time by Honda Minivans. Those damn things blow our doors off all the time.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Wow, I can't believe some of those remarks. ... I managed to hit 149 in my car Sunday and had I wrecked and died I would have gone out with the biggest grin on my face. Wouldn't have liked it any other way
I call BS... 149...??

Er... was that Top up or Top down..??

With a 155MPH published Top Speed on a new car, I find it very difficult you hit 149 in a 12 y.o. car. 'Course if you were going downhill w/ Hurricane Katrina behind you, on AvGas, maybe.

And, that musta been some pull considering the 1/4 mi. speed is only 98.8mph, you would have had time to finish your sandwich given the near 1/2 mi. run it would take to achieve that speed, if even possible.

Personally, I'd have the speedo checked.

And, I have relatives in OH, there musta been a 2fer1 at the Donut shop to keep the staties from catching you.

You jab at the older guys for driving with some sanity. Yea, we all did it... in cars that were half as safe as a Boxster... we were foolish... and LUCKY!

You're still young and stupid, and if you live through it, someday you'll know what they mean.

Kill Stories are like Fish Tales... and Kill Stories on the Internet are like Whale Tales... They get larger with time/distance.

Be thirsty my friend!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 06-21-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
Let me see if I understand the tone of this thread. We all have cars capable of handling curves at more than 30+ mph over the curves posted speed and top speeds of over 150 mph, but we can't use it. ... I don't think so.
Well, let me try to explain it.

The maximum posted legal speed limit in the United States today is 75MPH. Going over this limit is illegal, as in not allowed.

Porsche (as do others) produce cars that are capable of exceeding the legal limit. They have no control over raising that legal limit.

So... Yes, you cannot use it.

Legally that is. Use it illegally, and the consequences are all yours (assuming no innocents are involved).

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 06-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #17

I was already rolling 60mph so this wasn't a quarter mile drag or anything like that. I had the top up and windows up. Maybe the speedo is wrong at that those speeds, not sure, but that thing climbed to 149 before I let up. I've read on here about others hitting the 150's and some claiming 160 is doable. I personally don't think so.

@ Lil Bastard- I love this forum and have learned a lot from it, but I am constantly amazed by the amount of people on here who talk about babying their car and only occasionally drive it "spirited" or at the first sign of any trouble their first response is "have it towed to a shop." I understand that driving responsible is huge. My jab wasn't at you but there is no need for someone (not saying you did) on here to say that those guys deserved to die or be dicks about him driving too fast or irresponsible. I hope it wasn't a drinking and driving thing although that's the initial appearance. With little to no info on what "actually" happened, who's to say he didn't wreck from trying to avoid a deer or something. I was speeding one night in a civic and tried to avoid a deer and end up rolling my car several times. The ideal thing to do is mow that SOB over but its not your first reaction. And yes, I am young and dumb, but I work my ass of for the things I have and one of those things is my car. It might not have been the best decision, but I wanted to enjoy every aspect of it. Had to do that top speed run at least once!

Anyone know if there is a law about speeding on private property. I don't need to take it to a track if I want to rip off some 1/4 or 1/2 mile times. My stepdad's drive is a straight black topped mile long personal runway basically. My personal record on a Ducatti was around 150mph on my driveway.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #18

Would it be not more sensible to blame the MANUFACTURERS?! Come on guys....

I still believe that the majority of Porsche owners can make a decent judgement as to when it is safe to push their cars on public roads.

RIP Dunn
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #19

I stand by my inexcusable comment.

No one here is an angel, all of us have to some extent broken Traffic laws. The question here is the order of magnitude. 150 miles an hour on public roads leaves no margin of error. Any innocent bystander who you may have accidentally overlooked, and we all make mistakes, should not have to suffer for your ego boosting play.

Even if you're willing to die doing something stupid as driving double the posted limit in a straight line, and have no regard for the friends and family may leave behind, gives some thought to the time and cost to have the police and emergency workers scrape you off the pavement.

Far too often people forget that driving is a privilege, one we take it far too lightly here in North America. We forget to be courteous drivers, we don't think or plan for emergencies, and we do nothing to ensure that our skills behind the wheel are more than barely adequate.

In my opinion driving a Porsche doesn't entitle us to use the roads as a personal playground. Rather as someone who obviously values driving as more than a basic chore to get from A to B we should be held to a higher standard. We should set the tone on the roads. We should as a group be more aware, more skilled, and more courteous than those around us. We love driving, and be it on a race track, or driving to the corner store should we not display skills well above the norm.

Just my thoughts.....

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #20

Quote:
My personal record on a Ducatti was around 150mph on my driveway.
What a wild, impossible image this conjures up!! (Not doubting your word, JD...with a driveway that long that certainly is plausible. I say that because my driveway, like many driveways, is like 100' long BTW, far as I know, on private property speed limits don't exist...shoot for the moon!)

BTW, guys, I hate to sound like your English teacher here, but it's "reckless" not "wreckless". (Unless you drive wildly and have never, as a consequence, had a wreck...then I suppose "wreckless" might make some sense?? )

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote