Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #1

What does the immobilizer/alarm do, exactly?

When I lock my car with the key fob, the lights blink twice, no horn.

When I unlock it, they blink once, no horn.

If I lock my car with a door or trunk ajar, the lights blink twice and a get a quick 'toot'!

With the top down, and car locked, I can reach inside the door, grab the door handle and open the door without triggering the alarm. What does the immobilizer actually do, cause it certainly isnt preventing theft. :troll:

mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Garage
you need an orange clip or red clip. The motion alarm does not work with the top down. So the clip fools it thinking the top is up. pedro has them for sale or suncoast or your porsche dealer less than 5 bucks
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstew
When I lock my car with the key fob, the lights blink twice, no horn.

When I unlock it, they blink once, no horn.

If I lock my car with a door or trunk ajar, the lights blink twice and a get a quick 'toot'!
That's the way it should work. The short "toot" is to tell you "hey, something is not closed properly". Usually for me it's the center console armrest lid.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

When I lock my car with the key fob, the lights blink twice, no horn. Normal. Tells you the alarm is activated.

When I unlock it, they blink once, no horn. Normal. Tells you the alarm is deactivated.

If I lock my car with a door or trunk ajar, the lights blink twice and a get a quick 'toot'! Normal. Tells you that something isn't closed properly, e.g., door, trunk, or center console lid.

With the top down, and car locked, I can reach inside the door, grab the door handle and open the door without triggering the alarm. What does the immobilizer actually do, cause it certainly isnt preventing theft. Normal. When the top is down, the interior motion sensor is turned off even if the alarm is on. Buy a small clip from eBay for $4 that will push up the small button where the top clamp goes into the windshield header. This will make the alarm think that the top is closed and activate the motion sensor to help prevent someone from reaching into the car and taking something. However, use common sense - some theives aren't afraid of a quick grab and go even if the alarm goes off.

Link to alarm clip:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-Alarm-Red-Clip-Clamp-NEW-GENUINE-/140543435807?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b90aa41f
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #5

Garage
clip

the link says the clip is for years 97 to 2004. what do i use on a 2010?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

As far as I am aware, the red clip will also work on the 987 but have no actual experience with a 987.2 model.

If you want to make sure that the clip will work, go out to your car and do this test to confirm:

Put the top down and windows up. Reach over the top of the windshield from the front and push up the plunger button inside where the top latch goes. While pushing up the button, turn on the alarm using the key fob and continue to depress the button for another 5 sec to make sure that the motion detector is activated. Now, release the top button and remove your hand from the interior carefully so as not to set off the motion detector. Even with the button released, the motion sensor should remain active (or the theives would just remove the clip to deactivate the motion sensor). Then, stick your hand in the car and wave it around. The alarm should go off (might take 3-5 secs).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Clip works for me

Clip is fine on a 2011 so it should surely work for you. The alarm activation is painfully slow however at least for me.

So don't be disappointed when it takes 15 secs or more to go off!

Cheers
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

Ok, so the alarm not honking i get.

What I don't get is why the alarm doesnt go off if i reach inside and open the door while the car is locked with the top down.

The car doesnt need a motion sensor to know that someone is opening the car from the inside.

Likewise, I would imagine that if someone used a J-hook when the roof is up to open the door, I doubt the alarm would go off until they tripped the motion sensor.

Can someone else confirm that the alarm does not trigger if you do a simulated break in with the top down?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #9

ok so since noone will do my little test i will presume that opening the doors thru the roof should set off the alarm (but in my case it does not)

Well I checked my codes with the durametric and they say this:

Alarm
Current Fault Codes

No passenger compartment monitoring
Interior monitoring sensor faulty
Number of times DTC present: 1

Central locking limit position locked not reached
Switch for central locking is faulty
Number of times DTC present: 2

Clearly I have some sort of issue going on. How to fix these ?