Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #1

Water Temp issue

I pulled the possitive cable off my battery today and cleared a check engine light.
I also changed the air filter, removed and cleaned the MAF. I then took the car out and drove it. All was well and no CEL for now. I then filled the tank up with gas this evening and the oil gauge (where the time on the dash is) stayed on a little longer than normal. I had one bar missing at the top.

When I drove away, the water temp guage is hanging around 190 to 195. It used to be at the 180 degree mark. It didn't go any higher all the way home (about 5 miles) but seemed high. Is there a normal operating temp for the boxster. It is a 2.7 standard boxster.

Thanks for any info here. I may just be overreacting but thought someone might know where the needle should be.

Fullthrottle52

fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

Smile Issues

Your oil level gauge is fine. It's in the manual about the gauge timer It should be one bar low. That's fine. As far as temp, was it hot outside and did it lower at higher speeds? But temp in my box is usually at the 0 on the 180 mark, but box temp gauges are not known to be very exact. Just monitor temp and coolant level, but you should be okay.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

It was not real hot outside. About 80 degrees.
I will keep an eye on the temp guage for a few days.

I had heard in some forum that if you disconnect your battery you should disconnect the negative first and then the positive and then put the cables back on the same way. If you don't it can cause dash board problems. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I just disconected the positive and then waited 40 seconds to put it back on.

Thanks for any response.
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52
It was not real hot outside. About 80 degrees.
I will keep an eye on the temp guage for a few days.

I had heard in some forum that if you disconnect your battery you should disconnect the negative first and then the positive and then put the cables back on the same way. If you don't it can cause dash board problems. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I just disconected the positive and then waited 40 seconds to put it back on.

Thanks for any response.

With any battery always disconnect negative ground first then positive & reconnect positive + before reconnecting negative - cable. Leave disconnected for at least 30 minutes & if 2000 or later model perform DME adaptation by switching ignition on for 1 minute without starting engine or touching gas pedal. Turn ignition off for a least 10 seconds. Then drive car so DME computer can "learn" driving habits.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote