Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #1

Smile Boxster at the airport

Went to pickup a friend yesterday at the airport with my boxster. While driving by the pickup lane people just stared at me and wonder why I was there with this car. Thing was he only went on a 5-day trip so he only had 2 small pieces of luggage.

I felt people were staring at me when I opened up the "hood" and threw the bigger luggage in there while the smaller one went to the back. They were still staring while I drove away quickly. For a second I thought I was in a Porsche commercial.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #2

Boxster airport trips are fun! I've seen people almost drive off the road while they no doubt tried to figure out where we put the engine.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

That happens to me at the gas station when I check my oil sometimes and then put things in the trunk. The unusually long dip stick and putting cargo in where the engine should be always draws wondering looks. Then if you pop the frunk and put things in there you see a lot of confused looks. I also live in "truck country" though so these little foreign "Miata looking" cars are not the norm. I've had quite a few people tell me they "liked my Miata"....thanks I guess.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

Garage
You should go grocery shopping at Costco sometime... I have people come over and take a close look at both the front and back trunks and ask, "where's the engine?" It gets a lot of attention.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
You should go grocery shopping at Costco sometime... I have people come over and take a close look at both the front and back trunks and ask, "where's the engine?" It gets a lot of attention.

Jager
That happens to me a lot when both are open loading it up with a couple of weeks worth of groceries. I couldn't tell you the number of times I get the "where's the engine?" question.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yup happen to me tonight at Walmart Super Center...I got a very full car of groceries...the Walmart I go to is in truck country and only sees a Porsche when I go out there. Gotta make sure frozen food goes in front
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager

Jager
Ditto.
One of my favorite encounters.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

I like the looks I get when I walk out of a gas station and put a case of beer under the hood....
Old 05-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #9

my least favorite encounter happened again today - i was getting gas when a guy came up with a spray can trying to tell me how great the cleaning product he was demonstrating is. he bent down to spray my wheel when i told him "NO!"

he was taken aback for a second until i told him i used specific products. he asked what i used. after i told him, he said "but this one can cleans the wheels, body and glass. just spray it on and you're done." i actually had to say "not to be rude, but get that can away from my car." he finally walked away.

it only seems to happen when i'm in texas...
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
...... it only seems to happen when i'm in texas...

That's why we carry guns.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #11

so the other day i see this Box at a gas station and I offer to clean his wheels for him...

kidding

guns <3 i got my chl today
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #12

so the other day i see this Box at a gas station and I offer to clean his wheels for him...
-------------------------------------

Hehehe... that is funny! Did you pop this hood to find his engine so you can check his engine oil for him as well?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Just last week, I had a guy get out of his car and walk over to look to see for himself how I was putting that many bags of groceries in the front trunk...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #14

No Engine Required

I simply explain that what looks like a clutch and a brake are actually pedals I pump to power the car because I've gone completely green.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #15

Sometimes I tell them that it is solar powered.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #16

I work on an Army base. They make random searches of cars which require you to open the hood and trunk. Only about half of the soldiers are surprised when they don't see an engine.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
That happens to me at the gas station when I check my oil sometimes and then put things in the trunk. The unusually long dip stick and putting cargo in where the engine should be always draws wondering looks. Then if you pop the frunk and put things in there you see a lot of confused looks. I also live in "truck country" though so these little foreign "Miata looking" cars are not the norm. I've had quite a few people tell me they "liked my Miata"....thanks I guess.
I believe the correct response here is to reply: "Thanks, that's a nice Ford" when they are clearly driving a Chevy truck.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #18

When asked where the engine is, I like to say ... if you look under the car you'll see a large, wound-up rubber band. :dance:

Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote