Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #1

Base Model is better choice than S

Several posters have been emphatic that the S is the only way to go. Only a very few have said that the base is OK, but even then almost apologetically.

I'm willing to take some flack, so here's why the base model Boxster is just fine:

The 240-hp engine of a 987 provides only a little less power than the S of a couple years ago. The difference is negligible.

I'm not going to take the car onto a track. I don't plan to race anyone. I love driving, but I'm doing 99% of it in town, up PCH or on the freeway, which is no place to try to push any limits of speed or handling. I couldn't care less whether a Z4 or SLK passes me. Crossfire maybe, but I'll survive it.

If you're going to get an S for performance, then you better get options like the Sport Chrono and PASM too. Once you do, the price is getting up so high that I can't imagine not just getting a Carrera coupe.

If you want a car to race, why get a convertible anyway? If you want a convertible, then you're not really racing.

OK, now talk me into an S, but when you're done, tell me the price of the car and why I'm not getting a new 911 coupe for $10K more.

Last edited by SoCal; 06-13-2005 at 09:41 PM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #2

I don't see any reason why anyone should try to convince you to get an S. If you don't feel you need it, then that's fine. Go drive the two and figure out which one makes you happy, then buy it.

Personally, I didn't buy a 986 S because I felt that they were too slow and they didn't feel as crisp as I wanted them to feel. I wanted a car that didn't make me feel like I'd want to change anything on it. The 987 is that car. The base chassis/suspension setup is nice enough (although I went with PASM) but the base engine is still a bit too slow for me. The S had the horsepower I wanted, so that's what I chose.

My desire for a fast car has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to race anyone else. I drive for myself, not to impress others. And it's all relative--what you consider "fast" or "fun", so again, there is no reason why anyone should convince you of one over the other.

Last edited by eslai; 06-13-2005 at 10:56 PM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
Lux

I knew one of these threads would pop up...it was due. And I love these threads

The 240-hp engine of a 987 provides only a little less power than the S of a couple years ago. The difference is negligible.
It's not negligible. The 986 S still has significantly more torque. If you cared about top speed, then HP is a good comparision. But if you care about acceleration (as most people do), then torque rules. If you don't enjoy dropping the hammer, then why buy a sports car?

I'm not going to take the car onto a track.
If that's a justification then a Honda Accord with 240hp would save you tons of money.

I don't plan to race anyone.
So if you don't buy a sports car to drive...well, sporty, then what do you buy it for? Utility?

I love driving, but I'm doing 99% of it in town, up PCH or on the freeway, which is no place to try to push any limits of speed or handling.
So let's see, with more torque on the S (986 or 987), you can get to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60...etc. faster. I don't think getting to 60mph as fast as you can is "pushing the limits". But it is a lot of fun and part of owning a sports car.

Again, if you're not going to be doing any of this, then why buy a sports car in the first place? Or, why not buy a Mazdaspeed Miata with 170hp? It would be significantly cheaper than a Boxster and provide 10/10ths of what the Boxster provides if driven as you allude to.

If you're going to get an S for performance, then you better get options like the Sport Chrono and PASM too.
Sport Chrono and PASM are driver aids. A person might elect out of those options because they want to improve their driving skills yet still have the fastest model of the Boxster.

Once you do, the price is getting up so high that I can't imagine not just getting a Carrera coupe.
Let's see, you're comparing a fully loaded Boxster S to a stripped down Carrera hardtop? First of all, the 2 cars are obviously different. Why don't you compare a Boxster S to a 911 Cabrio? Second, mid-engine and rear-engine handle differently so how can you even compare the two?

If you want a car to race, why get a convertible anyway? If you want a convertible, then you're not really racing.
Does it say that somewhere in the Racing Handbook? Come to think of it...aren't F1, champ cars, prototypes, etc. all open cockpit cars? Weren't all the old racing Porsches open air cars? Old AC Cobras? Hmmm.

OK, now talk me into an S, but when you're done, tell me the price of the car and why I'm not getting a new 911 coupe for $10K more.
Along with the above rebuttals, I'd have to say "why aren't you buying a lesser car than a Base Boxster?" Afterall, there are plenty of cars that are just as fast or slower that are cheaper.

So you see, your argument doesn't lie in the Box S vs. the 911. It lies in the Box vs. the S2K, Miata, Solstice, Sky, MR2, TT, Z4, Crossfire, and 350Z Cabrio. I'd like to see you justify the Boxster against those sports cars...as well as against the Maxima, Accord, G35, Neon R/T, and RSX (to name a few) relative to how you perceive you'll drive the car.

And last but not least, the Box S costs more initially, but also resells for more. So the actual amount of money spent doesn't really reflect the actual cost-to-own differences.

Your turn.
-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:45 AM   #4

Talking

Well, as my Grandfather used to tell me,

"there are horses for courses!"

Having more torque on tap is always a nice thing, all things considered.

Whether it is worth the extra money is of course, totally subjective.

Buy what you like!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #5

Here's my 02 cent's worth:

Buy an S so you will have far more people interested in your car when you want to sell it.

If for no other reason, resaleability (not so much value, but the ability to sell it quickly) is important.

... and one more thing that's probably easy to argue with, but is important to me personally:

When you drive down the road and see an S, you will never think to yourself "I wish I had an S now that I've had the car a while."

My dad always said, "You'll never be dissapointed buying the top of the line." In my mind, that would be an S in the Boxster line.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #6

I decided on a non-S for several reasons.

1) Allowed me to get a 99 which is far less money then even a base 2000

2) They did not make Pastel Yellow in 2000+

3) This car has enough power and tourque to get me in trouble as it is, and I by no means think its a slow car

4) I buy a porsche for myself, and I don't care what others think that the car is too slow, or that I won't be able to sell it, or that it is not an S

5) Insurance is far less for a non-S sub 2000

6) If I wanted a sports car thats super fast I would have purchesed a 911, which I thought about, but chose the boxster instead because it was a much funner car to drive

7) I have had it for 2 months now, and have not even thought about reploacing it with an S. The only place I seem to think about this, is on here or other boards that seem to always say that the S is the only way to go

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #7

well if you never drove an S you will always be in Love with your baby.

But if you owned the S and it was totaled and replaced with a standard Boxster you would not be happy.

I guess its like marrying the first girl you ever dated, not knowing that the total babe that lived next door to you who would go outside to take out her garbage in her two piece bikini and would go out running 5 miles every morning
secretely had a crush on you while your wife stoped having sex with you and started packing on the pounds.

sometimes your better off not experiencing something better.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #8

Interesting analogy

If it were only as easy to trade in your wife as it is a car eheheheheh Just kidding

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #9

A few points of contention:

"Sport Chrono and PASM are driver aids. A person might elect out of those options because they want to improve their driving skills yet still have the fastest model of the Boxster."

Do you mean PSM is a driver aid? The Sport chrono is a gimmick, but the sport BUTTON is not and you can't get it seperately. The Sport button puts PSM in a less motherly mode and remaps the throttle response curve to a more sport and responsive setting. (I really hate the electronic throttle).

PASM allows the car to ride soft when cruising and stiffen up to a more sporty setting when needed.

PSM has been driving me kind of nuts. I'm considering disabling it and driving around, but I'll have to wait until I have time to pay a bit more attention to the car.

"If I wanted a sports car thats super fast I would have purchesed a 911,"

Don't sell yourself that short--the 911 isn't THAT fast really. If you wanted a sports car that was super fast you could have purchased a Corvette Z06.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Boxster-MK
Interesting analogy

If it were only as easy to trade in your wife as it is a car eheheheheh Just kidding

Mike
seriously at this curb weight when a car goes over the 240 HP mark something happens to the car.
its hard to describe but it just comes alive, not just off the line but in all situations.
I had the same feeling when I drove a supercharged Miata.

a very different sensation for me.
And pratically speaking as other's have pointed out if you plan to sell you Boxster NOT BUYING the S may cost you more than buying the standard boxster.
The S has a slower depreciation.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-14-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #11

There are lots of ways to enjoy automobiles. There was a time when I pretty much thought that the "performance" of said vehicle, as measured by stop watches and lap times was the only thing that counted.
All of the enthusiast auto magazines teach us to buy into this nonsense by track testing street cars and trumpeting the outcome as proving that one pile of aluminum and plastic is better than the other pile of aluminum and plastic because it goes around in a circle microscopically faster.
Stopwatches and horsepower figures can only represent one view of the appeal of a car to the owner. For some people it is a big factor, for others, not so much.
My standard Boxster, with a Tiptronic no less, has no trouble keeping up with traffic, so I guess I would have to say the performance is adequate.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #12

My turn

OK, Lux, Thanks for playing along. Here's my reply.

It's not negligible. The 986 S still has significantly more torque. If you cared about top speed, then HP is a good comparision. But if you care about acceleration (as most people do), then torque rules. If you don't enjoy dropping the hammer, then why buy a sports car?
To follow your logic then, you'd want a 911, or a Corvette, but not an S. You always can point a different car to get "a little more" acceleration or speed. My point is that the basic Boxster is sufficient for its intended purpose, sporty cruising, and that the S is not worth the $10K increase.

I'm not going to take the car onto a track.
If that's a justification then a Honda Accord with 240hp would save you tons of money.
Wrong answer. I want the fun of driving the Boxster. The extra money for the S is not worth it.

I don't plan to race anyone.
So if you don't buy a sports car to drive...well, sporty, then what do you buy it for? Utility?
You're replacing logic with sarcasm, and making my point for me. I do want sporty driving, which is amply served by the base Boxster. Still waiting for any justification for $10K more for the S.

I love driving, but I'm doing 99% of it in town, up PCH or on the freeway, which is no place to try to push any limits of speed or handling.
So let's see, with more torque on the S (986 or 987), you can get to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60...etc. faster. I don't think getting to 60mph as fast as you can is "pushing the limits". But it is a lot of fun and part of owning a sports car.
But just barely faster. Not $10K faster. Not 911 faster.

Again, if you're not going to be doing any of this, then why buy a sports car in the first place? Or, why not buy a Mazdaspeed Miata with 170hp? It would be significantly cheaper than a Boxster and provide 10/10ths of what the Boxster provides if driven as you allude to.
But you're not answering my question, which is why pay $10K more for an S.

If you're going to get an S for performance, then you better get options like the Sport Chrono and PASM too.
Sport Chrono and PASM are driver aids. A person might elect out of those options because they want to improve their driving skills yet still have the fastest model of the Boxster.
Would you opt out of these options? If you're emphasis is on performance? That's inconsistent.

Once you do, the price is getting up so high that I can't imagine not just getting a Carrera coupe.
Let's see, you're comparing a fully loaded Boxster S to a stripped down Carrera hardtop? First of all, the 2 cars are obviously different. Why don't you compare a Boxster S to a 911 Cabrio? Second, mid-engine and rear-engine handle differently so how can you even compare the two?
I'm not comparing a 911 Cab because the 911 was built to be a coupe. Again, you're making my point. If you want a sporty, top-down cruiser, the base model is fine. If you want high-performance, then you want the 911 coupe.

Does it say that somewhere in the Racing Handbook? Come to think of it...aren't F1, champ cars, prototypes, etc. all open cockpit cars? Weren't all the old racing Porsches open air cars? Old AC Cobras? Hmmm.
Gee, I didn't know that those purpose-built open-cockpit race cars had soft tops hidden in the back, and that they were designed to be street legal. You've gone tilt here. You may as well concede that the basic Boxster fits the purpose of the car, and the moderately higher performance of the S isn't worth the price tag.

Along with the above rebuttals, I'd have to say "why aren't you buying a lesser car than a Base Boxster?" Afterall, there are plenty of cars that are just as fast or slower that are cheaper.
Because I want a Porsche, for all the obvious reasons -- style, handling. My post stayed with comparisons in the Porsche line.

So you see, your argument doesn't lie in the Box S vs. the 911. It lies in the Box vs. the S2K, Miata, Solstice, Sky, MR2, TT, Z4, Crossfire, and 350Z Cabrio. I'd like to see you justify the Boxster against those sports cars...as well as against the Maxima, Accord, G35, Neon R/T, and RSX (to name a few) relative to how you perceive you'll drive the car.
But that's exactly where the argument lies, comparing the Porsche lineup with itself. You can't support your position without going to different makes. My point still is, if you want a convertible, get a base Boxster. If you want performance, get a 911 coupe.

And last but not least, the Box S costs more initially, but also resells for more. So the actual amount of money spent doesn't really reflect the actual cost-to-own differences.
Same argument makes you buy a 911, or a GT for that matter. Plus, I thought you recommended against PASM and Chrono -- doesn't that cut against your resale value argument.

Your turn.
OK, I've considered your attempts at refuting my position, and the answer is clear. I'm getting an S!!! I wouldn't be getting a Boxster if I wasn't at least a little bit a thrill junkie. No damn Z4 is pulling away from me!
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal

Your turn.
OK, I've considered your attempts at refuting my position, and the answer is clear. I'm getting an S!!! I wouldn't be getting a Boxster if I wasn't at least a little bit a thrill junkie. No damn Z4 is pulling away from me!

^ Is this guy for real? You want an S now? This is good stuff. Nice rebuttals Lux, I couldn't have said it better myself. At first I thought Socal had an inferiority complex and was trying to justify his base model.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #14

Talking

As I wise man once said---

"There is no replacement, for displacement!"

:troll:
Old 06-14-2005, 06:23 PM   #15
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
As I wise man once said---

"There is no replacement, for displacement!"

:troll:

Amen!

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal
Damn, this thread is like a good thriller! The ups, the downs, and the surprise ending! You were pulling our leg all the time, weren't you?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #17

Want to keep this going...

Yep, could have bought the S, but then my logic:

1. I need to learn to drive first. 'Slower' cars need better drivers - now I have to learn. Umm, I have a modified WRX that will out accelerate most Boxsters - S or not. Fun car, but now too many kids have it.

2. Blow up my motor, out goes the 2.7, in goes the 3.4

3. Yeah, resale for the S is better, but I have a history of giving my used cars to relatives anyway.

4. Lastly, all I want. It's a great handling Porsche. No justification necessary.

The best after effect of buying the car - when I get overwhelmed at work, I reach for my keys and

Guy
Boltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #18

If you're going to get an S for performance, then you better get options like the Sport Chrono and PASM too. Once you do, the price is getting up so high that I can't imagine not just getting a Carrera coupe.

Not really and exactly, respectively. For the performance nut who doesn't want to drop $60K+ on a new car, an S with very few options would fit the bill (sorry, no more puns, I swear) nicely.

I'd rather have a stripped S than a loaded base model, but that's just me. Of course, if you're pressing your financial limits with the base model then that's the reality. I'm sure you'd have great fun it the base model too!

If you're spending all that money for the base Boxster then what's another $10,000 spread over several years?

(P.S. This is a great forum you guys have here! I look forward to learning even more & contributing to the threads. )
ho2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #19

Thanks. You guys are great members!

"(P.S. This is a great forum you guys have here! I look forward to learning even more & contributing to the threads. )"

Old 06-18-2005, 06:23 PM   #20

You guys are funny.
You remind of me of the 944 guys, "Can anyone help me make my n/a faster?...reply: Yes, sell your car and get a 951(944 turbo).

This basically translates to you guys too. "Sell your base and get an S"

I've not really heard any of the 911 guys say "Sell your base and get an S, Turbo, GT3, or GT2." Is this some sort of "little man syndrome". Every 911 owner I've talked to just says, "I AM GLADE TO HAVE MY CAR"
I know lots of people that have 993s and 964s with less hp than 996s and they profusely are against selling their slower car for a faster and better handling 996 or 997. Why? beside from the air-cooled factor, BECAUSE THEY ENJOY WHAT THEY HAVE.

My opinion is, I am glade you got a PORSCHE AND ENJOY IT.

edit:
And if you don't have an S, I say don't worry about what anyone else says. They are just jealous that they don't have a CARRERA GT :dance:

Last edited by tqtran; 06-18-2005 at 06:42 PM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote