View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
SoCal

Base Model is better choice than S

Several posters have been emphatic that the S is the only way to go. Only a very few have said that the base is OK, but even then almost apologetically.

I'm willing to take some flack, so here's why the base model Boxster is just fine:

The 240-hp engine of a 987 provides only a little less power than the S of a couple years ago. The difference is negligible.

I'm not going to take the car onto a track. I don't plan to race anyone. I love driving, but I'm doing 99% of it in town, up PCH or on the freeway, which is no place to try to push any limits of speed or handling. I couldn't care less whether a Z4 or SLK passes me. Crossfire maybe, but I'll survive it.

If you're going to get an S for performance, then you better get options like the Sport Chrono and PASM too. Once you do, the price is getting up so high that I can't imagine not just getting a Carrera coupe.

If you want a car to race, why get a convertible anyway? If you want a convertible, then you're not really racing.

OK, now talk me into an S, but when you're done, tell me the price of the car and why I'm not getting a new 911 coupe for $10K more.

Last edited by SoCal; 06-13-2005 at 09:41 PM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote