Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

The pain.....oh the pain

My car quit running and I threw about $500 in parts at it in my effort to repair it. Parts included a new MAF, coils, spark plugs & tubes, crank position sensor, etc.... Still couldn't get it to start, so I towed it to the local independent and found while the fuel pump worked it was only putting out 20 lbs of pressure. Easy enough, new fuel pump and while I was there a new "updated" sending unit.

Since it has 52k, I thought it would be a good time to do a clutch, so I pulled the trigger. With the clutch came the LN IMS update and RMS. I could hardly wait for a good nights sleep knowing the LN Engineering update was done.

Suddenly it made sense to do the AOS and coolant expansion tank. And if I'm going to drain the coolant, might as well do the water pump and thermostat. There were several other minor hoses and other little items added to the "while we're there" list, including unrelated replacement seat covers (they look GREAT). I wrote the second largest check I've written on the car, the first being the purchase. The first day I drove the car was fantastic......right until the brake lining light came on.

I love this car and I've found a great independent in my area, but I am starting to think it's trying to destroy me. :ah:

Rant over....time to order some more parts and research the best way to paint my calipers.

2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #2

Likely could have replaced the car for what you're going to end up spending! But if you like it, may as well go for it.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

The good news is that the brakes are easy to do yourself and the parts aren't that expensive.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Situations like this are what make your favorite beer even taste better. Have a Fat Tire beer tonight and put these troubles behind you.