Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to audisnawb
Went to open my drivers door last night and...

It didnt open, do I turned the key in the door lock to roll down the windows and it unlocked from the inside.

So Im guessing that outside handle broke where it met the wire the opens the door.

Ive owned this car for 3 weeks and there is nothing going right with it.....!

Has anyone fixed this? Any thoughts, Can I just reconnect the internal latch/wire or will I have to replace a whole mechanism?

So annoyed.

PAST: 2000 986 Porsche Boxster Biarritz White on Sierra Beige
audisnawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

If you take the door panel off, if my memory serves me correct. There should be a little white clip that holds the latch/pole mechanism in place. I have broken mine before. Let me know if you need any parts. I may have what you need laying around. Where in NH are you? I have a place in Vt. and up at the end of our block it says welcome to NH. We are basically in Ludlow.

Jay
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnawb
Ive owned this car for 3 weeks and there is nothing going right with it.....!

So annoyed.
Hope you get these things worked out! Hope the NH drives have been nice.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
If you take the door panel off, if my memory serves me correct. There should be a little white clip that holds the latch/pole mechanism in place. I have broken mine before. Let me know if you need any parts. I may have what you need laying around. Where in NH are you? I have a place in Vt. and up at the end of our block it says welcome to NH. We are basically in Ludlow.

Jay
I appreciate the help Jay- If the parts need to be replaced and not repaired, I may need them, buttttt, the VT/NH line is a bit of a drive for me, moreover, in this horrible weather we've been having- would be a different story if the sun was shining and the roof was down

Ill have to take the door panel off and check things out! Thanks again bud

Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Hope you get these things worked out! Hope the NH drives have been nice.
Thanks man! The drives SO far have been nice- not going long distanced due to the IMS, etc- and the weather hasnt been to nice...

All In Good Time I Suppose...!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

Here's a link to the door handle parts view.
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/804-20.php

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you remove the door panel to avoid any air bag accidents. Quote from Bentley manual door panel removal section, "Wait one minute after disconnecting battery before working in vicinity of airbag."
And I am pretty sure that you will need the radio code also if you disconnect the battery. I don't worry about this since my car came with an after market radio.
Let us know what you find, as our cars get older, more of us will run into these same issues.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 04-28-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Thanks man! The drives SO far have been nice- not going long distanced due to the IMS, etc- and the weather hasnt been to nice...

All In Good Time I Suppose...!
Don't let the IMS thing worry you too much...you have a much better chance of totaling a car then it failing. Drive on and enjoy!!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

From what you described I don't think you have a problem at all, it is a "feature" in the boxster. If you don't use the car for a week the remote stops working and you need to use the key to get in. This is designed to help keep your battery from going dead. It that is not the case good luck taking the door apart.

As a new owner you may find this link helpful. It is written for the 987, but most of it applies to the 986 too. http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/6951-didnt-read-manual-read.html
RealtorBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealtorBen
From what you described I don't think you have a problem at all, it is a "feature" in the boxster. If you don't use the car for a week the remote stops working and you need to use the key to get in. This is designed to help keep your battery from going dead. It that is not the case good luck taking the door apart.

As a new owner you may find this link helpful. It is written for the 987, but most of it applies to the 986 too. http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/6951-didnt-read-manual-read.html
I use the car every day. I didnt say anything about my Key FOB not working, the handle of my door broke.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #10

I took the door panel off today which was nice and easy to do- and after peeling back the liner behind it i could see in the little hole behind the exterior door handle. It looks like there's a male bolt that's loose I could find any kind of cable where is should connect to loose in there. Of course, it was a tight squeeze and it may have been out of sight... Im 0 for 1. Didnt get it rectified. Any thoughts? Anyone have a bentley manual they may be able to look into? Thanks!!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
I took the door panel off today which was nice and easy to do- and after peeling back the liner behind it i could see in the little hole behind the exterior door handle. It looks like there's a male bolt that's loose I could find any kind of cable where is should connect to loose in there. Of course, it was a tight squeeze and it may have been out of sight... Im 0 for 1. Didnt get it rectified. Any thoughts? Anyone have a bentley manual they may be able to look into? Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #12

Bump, anyone have any advice?