Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #1

986Forum vs other forums

So, the wife has given me the go ahead to buy a used Boxster next year, and I’m in the fact gathering mode for the next 12 months. I’ve been reading this forum for several months, and several others. One that I found very different from this board was “Planet-9”. They seem to be a different crowd over there. Main topics right now is whether to buy a Boxster Spyder or Caymen-R. ($60-70k). While here on 986, most cars are in the 10-20k value range.

I also noticed they don’t work on their cars as much as you all do here on this board. But, I guess if I had $70k to spend on a Boxster Spyder, I’d let somebody else do the work also!

Since I’m looking to spend < $20k, I think this forum will do just fine for me. Keep up the good work!

surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Garage
Planet-9 is a great site, however, it's geared primarily toward 987 platform cars; especially caymans . Sites such as 6speed and Teamspeed, nice as they are, are pretty much garden variety sites . And, Renntech is ok. The 986 Forum is by far the best resource for 986 boxster owners .
Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #3

You'll find some very knowledgeable individuals on this board and very willing to share their expertise. I've been a 911 owner for the last 25+years and my '02 Boxster was a new animal to me. I am not afraid to do my own maintenance and mods (within reason), and find the guidance here invaluable. I can even give back some input at times, with some of the items I've encountered. These are fantastically fun cars and easier to wrench then some would have you believe.

I also have friends that have GT3s, turbos and everything in between...I can hardly remember a day they've ever had their hands dirty!

Good luck in your journey and take your time to find the right car...I found mine in Texas, two years old with 7900 miles; seven years later, the car is showing 19k miles and running strong.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

Hands down this is the best 986 forum on the net...........
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I have to agree, I've tried several times to get into the other forums and keep coming back here. I will admit I really enjoy the folks on Pelican Parts too, a lot of folks from here float over there too.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for from a forum. I wanted to get my hands dirty and this place is a big help. I also got tired of the snobs on the benz forums always grouching at newbies for asking questions, without newbies eventually traffic would diminish.

I will say if you can get someone from this forum to sell you their car you'll get a good one and it would be worth the extra money...then again there probably won't be much to do to it so you'll be bored
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

A list of Boxster oriented forums

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/boxsterforums
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd also like to mention the Pelican Parts forums. The owner, Wayne Dempsey, litterally wrote the book on the Boxster (101 Projects for Your Boxster). Wayne is directly available on the forums daily and he seems to take a reasonably moderate view of the issues. Lots of very helpful people on there and the Boxster/Cayman forum is pretty active.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote