Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Pioneer Avic-z130bt

Hi all!

About to replace my Becker with a double din...I see Pioneer now has an avic-z130bt. Looks nice...

Anyone have one? Or another suggestions? I would like:

NAVI
BT built in
Iphone integration (ipod)
HD Radio
Sirius/XM Option

Thanks!

Rick

Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #2

I just did a Kenwood DNX 9140 a month or so ago. Very happy with it, except it would randomly reboot sometimes. I upgraded my ipod software and it has all but disappeared, did happen once recently though. Sometimes the ipod stalls/locks up and eventually comes back. Could be a BT firmware issue also (the rebooting), I havent upgraded that yet, but it should probably be next on the list.

Sounds so much better than the CDR220!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

The pioneer is a good unit. You might want to go into the audio section of your local audio installer and see if you can just play around with one and test it out. You might find something that is a deal breaker for you. Good luck
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Garage
Rick -

I had bought and installed a Avic-F700BT a few years back and it is still going strong with no big issues, about only thing and with most is the mic for voice commands and mobile phone, they have some upgrade mic's on eBay that will provide better voice quality. If you opt out of the DVD option and go for another series you will save a few hundread on price, and really how many DVD's are you going to watch in your Boxster? and if the need really hit's you can watch a video off your iPhone

Also be sure to get the doubl-din kit, makes install a quick win and looks nice, also maker is a forum member.
http://cgi.ebay.com/97-02-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-DOUBLE-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT-/220726796582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336457a126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfromet
Hi all!

About to replace my Becker with a double din...I see Pioneer now has an avic-z130bt. Looks nice...

Anyone have one? Or another suggestions? I would like:

NAVI
BT built in
Iphone integration (ipod)
HD Radio
Sirius/XM Option

Thanks!

Rick
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #5

Avic Z110bt

I installed an AVIC Z110BT in my Cayman about 8 months ago. Believe it is pretty similar to the Z130BT.

The good news is: The Z110BT makes for a beautiful factory-looking installation with the Euromotorspeed bezel off eBay; the screen is big; maps are colorful and quite clear; navigation is pretty good once it "learns" (hard to explain this, but at first it was delivering really weird results, now it works well); and the sound quality is highly adjustable and 110% better than the CDR-24 it replaced. I'm very happy with the sound.

The bad news is:
1) Forget using your bluetooth for handsfree calls if you are going more than about 30 mph. Maybe my luck would be better if I moved the microphone from its "factory" position under the grill in the steering column. I figured the factory location would be good. Wrong!
2) Forget the voice activation feature unless you are parked and also a diction coach. Again, maybe due to the microphone. Even then, however, you have to press a tiny button first in order to activate the voice control. By the time you locate the tiny button, you might as well just key in everything you want.
3) Controls on the touch screen are awkward on my unit. To turn off the radio or CD, you have to press home, then A/V, then off. This three-step process really can't be done safely while driving. There is a firmware upgrade available bundled with updated maps that cuts the process down to merely two steps. I know because I also have an X920BT in my other car. The newer system is better but Pioneer asks me for $200 for the upgrade due to bundling with new maps. No thanks, I don't want to pay another $200 for an 8-month-old unit.
4) HD Radio is an option in the Z110BT, at least.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

Garage
If you really wanted to be fully functioning, you could just get an android phone with video out capabilities, then for your double din just get a tv/monitor with dvd or Blue ray or what have you. Run a simple wire and you can use your device for everything and it will display on your tv, that would include websites, movies, navigation via google (which is good) and anything you could really ever want. and it would be very clean and inexpensive. if someone steals your avic that is a 1000$ loss, if someone steals a double din monitor with DVD its only a third of the price and your phone is still on you...
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #7

Garage
Here is a snapshot of the Mic and where I installed, I have had no issues with calls, even with top down, but of course the faster you drive the more noise ;-)

Was looking for the link to the mic but could not find it, but nice quality and it did improve the VRS of the head unit.
Attached Images

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote