View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
johnsimion

Avic Z110bt

I installed an AVIC Z110BT in my Cayman about 8 months ago. Believe it is pretty similar to the Z130BT.

The good news is: The Z110BT makes for a beautiful factory-looking installation with the Euromotorspeed bezel off eBay; the screen is big; maps are colorful and quite clear; navigation is pretty good once it "learns" (hard to explain this, but at first it was delivering really weird results, now it works well); and the sound quality is highly adjustable and 110% better than the CDR-24 it replaced. I'm very happy with the sound.

The bad news is:
1) Forget using your bluetooth for handsfree calls if you are going more than about 30 mph. Maybe my luck would be better if I moved the microphone from its "factory" position under the grill in the steering column. I figured the factory location would be good. Wrong!
2) Forget the voice activation feature unless you are parked and also a diction coach. Again, maybe due to the microphone. Even then, however, you have to press a tiny button first in order to activate the voice control. By the time you locate the tiny button, you might as well just key in everything you want.
3) Controls on the touch screen are awkward on my unit. To turn off the radio or CD, you have to press home, then A/V, then off. This three-step process really can't be done safely while driving. There is a firmware upgrade available bundled with updated maps that cuts the process down to merely two steps. I know because I also have an X920BT in my other car. The newer system is better but Pioneer asks me for $200 for the upgrade due to bundling with new maps. No thanks, I don't want to pay another $200 for an 8-month-old unit.
4) HD Radio is an option in the Z110BT, at least.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote