Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade?

Are these rear deck speaker setup things worth installing?

How much are they worth generally?

This is the large sound-bar thing that slides into where the rear storage compartment is.

The one I am looking at has 2 speakers on each side/corner....totaling 4 speakers.

I have a Old school SOUNDSTREAM Rubicon 5-channel amp I am thinking about installing.

If I buy this rear speaker thing, I will run the 4-channels to the rear speakers and the upper front dash speakers.
The I will run subwoofer Channel bridged to qty2 6.5 inch subwoofers located in the doors.

Think this will sound decent??

I just dug out my old car audio stuff I paid alot of money for back in the day. I also have 2 more amps if anyone needs one?
These are old-school amps that many consider superior to the modern junk that is sold.

ALPINE 5 Channel = $125

SOUND-STREAM Rubicon 404 4 Channel = $150

Just throwing it out there cause I have no use for them if I am going to run my 5 channel soundstream.

dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

anyone have one of these?

If so, how much did you pay for it and was it worth it?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #3

If you bridge your fifth channel - ensure that the amp and spearkers are capable of running at 2 ohms.

Also not sure if you would need to amplify the rear spearkers, they are only for a very smally amount of fill. That being said, would be handy to be able to switch them to high pass and set the gains indepently (although I can do this with my headunit, most modern quality units can)

Otherwise sounds good. Goodluck!
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

Thanks bud,

My 5th channel is a Sub-woofer channel so I was going to run that too the 6.5 door speakers .... figured they would put out the best bass.

The rear deck speaker thing I am looking at has 4 speakers total.... are they all full range speakers or tiny subs or ????
Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #5

If you are talking about the Bose rear speaker deck, it has 2 subs (5" I think), and 2 VERY small 'full range' speakers (like 1.5")
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #6

Here is a Pic of the one I bought to try out.

All 4 speakers are 6 ohm each ...... and all 8 wires from the speakers are wired down into only 4 total where they connect to the amp.

Does anyone know what impedance/ohm this will give me at the amp??

Any help is appreciated?
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #7

I sure do enjoy mine. It's a worthwhile upgrade. Dash speakers alone just make me want to turn off the radio altogether when the top is down. But adding those behind your head makes top down music worth listening to.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

Cool, thanks....that makes me eager to try them out!

anyone know what the Ohm impedance will be at the amp with qty 4 speakers that are 6ohm each??
Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
Cool, thanks....that makes me eager to try them out!

anyone know what the Ohm impedance will be at the amp with qty 4 speakers that are 6ohm each??

I can't tell you without seeing the wiring to determine if they are wired in parallel or series. One way gives you less resistance the other way will double it.

Here is a link with photos to show you how to connect them either way. It would be helpful to know what the amp is expecting to "see" at the speaker connections.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #10

here is a pic of how my speakers are wired.

it this setup going to be at 1.5 ohms at the amp??

My soundstream 405 is 1 ohm stable on the sub channel

the other 4 channels are 2 ohm stable
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #11

And the way the wires are already ran thru my car aftermarket I will have to run all these speakers into one channel. there is only one positive and negative wire running to the rear of my car ...... there is a little sub-woofer under the passenger seat that I will be disconnecting to run this sound bar thing.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #12

Rear speaker upgrade a MUST

Hi there,

Last month I completely took out all the old (standard) stereo equipment from my 02 boxster, including the amp under the front hood.

I put in the rear speaker shelf, had 2 new pioneer speakers put into the dashboard, replaced the door woofers with new pioneer speakers and replaced the head unit cdr 220 (and cup holders) with a double din size Pioneer avr 4300bt model. The door and dashboard speakers are set as the front speakers.

Sound quality is now pretty good but still lacks the big bass sound, but 10 x better than before. Rear sound is a must if you want a half decent sound in a boxster.

I spent a total of about 750€ including install from the best installer in town. The rear speaker kit I bought in ebay for around 250 USD, and they install into the existing storage box.

So for now Im happy.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

It's really embarrassing that my Honda Fit Sport DD has ten times the stereo of my 987. And it cost a whopping $16,200 off the Honda showroom.........

I don't waste my time turning the Porsche stereo on. At least the 3.2 induction sound is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeett!!!