Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Engine whine low revs up to 2100 rpm. Any ideas?

I've got a 2000 3.2 S, 42k, had the 48,000 service with the belt changes about 18 months ago. The last few days I've noticed quite a loud whine at low revs as per title, over 2100 the noise decreases significantly although it's still there. Anyone had this or knows what it's likely to be?

cavmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #2

powwr steering pump going out?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the lightning response tonycarreon, now you mention it it does sound like it could be that, although no tone change when turning the steering wheel - none that I noticed anyway...I will check it out further. Cheers for now.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

cavmar - if you are handy with a 10mm and a 24mm spanner, remove the poly-rib belt that drives the alternator, power steering, water pump and A/C and run the engine for no more than a minute or so (no coolant flow).
If the whine stops, then you know its any one of the above accessory's or the belt pulley's / tensioner that's causing the noise.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
cavmar - if you are handy with a 10mm and a 24mm spanner, remove the poly-rib belt that drives the alternator, power steering, water pump and A/C and run the engine for no more than a minute or so (no coolant flow).
If the whine stops, then you know its any one of the above accessory's or the belt pulley's / tensioner that's causing the noise.

Cheers Steve, defiantly worth a try, I sincerely hope the noise does stop at that point!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

Diagnosis

Thanks for your help guys, turns out to be a deflecter pulley to the left of the power steering pulley that was making the noise. New pulley on the way from design911.com, £40 + del + vat! Obviously I'm more than happy with that outcome. Thanks again guys for taking the time to post.