Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
SoK

Installed HID headlamps and LED driving lights, battery indicator lamp came on today

Hey guys,

I had a headlight go out last week so I figured it was a good opportunity to just upgrade to an HID system. I ordered a slim ballast kit (35w) with H7 5k bulbs, but the guy sent m a 5k and a 7k bulb on accident. Installed the kit anyway since I had the headlight out and had him resent the extra 5k bulb. I drove the car for a week with the mismatched bulbs in and didn't have any issues. When the new bulb came, I intalled that, let it burn in and called it a day. When i left for work this morning, I noticed my battery light on the dash was on. All my bulbs work fine (turn signals, driving lights, brakes, etc.) but this indicator light is on. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? Could it be simply an old, low battery and it's just coincidentally coming on right after i installed these kits? I have an appt with the dealer for an oil change Friday, but I'd like to have an idea of what the issue is before I go in there.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #2

post hoc ergo propter hoc...

but perhaps the new lights were the last straw for the alternator.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
SoK

So the battery dash light indicator is indicative of an alternator issue?

Hope I don't end up with a dead battery before Friday...

:edit: would it behove me to hook my battery tender up each night until I have it officially diagnosed on Friday?

Last edited by SoK; 04-11-2011 at 03:01 PM.
SoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #4

Yes, it can be a sign of a bad alt. It can also be a sign of a bad battery (though in most cases car won't start ). Last but not least, it's been known to illuminate w/ aftermarket HID kits (seriously) - all depends on the quality of the system and installation.

So, you really won't know the issue until you test it accordingly. Some simple things to test... first and foremost is the last thing touched . But here's a quick hit list for you:

- disconnect your aftermkt HID kit and see if the light still illuminates

- test the battery yourself using a DMM (digital multi meter) across terminals of battery when car is off should read ~ 12.6V

- test the alternator function (again using a DMM across terminals of battery but this time w/ car running) should read ~ 13-14.4V

And yes, in the mean time, it's a good idea to hook up your battery tender up each night. Though if your alternator is bad, this will only help you ensure a start in the AM and likely leave you stranded somewhere en route or at work at the end of the day - depending on how long your commute is and how shot your alt is.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Sorry to say, this is a common occurrence with aftermarket HID units. Mine did that plus had the oil pressure light going on. Stopping the car and restarting it with the lights on corrected the problem for the day, but it still made me really nervous. I tried some HID manufacturer's fix but there is no winning so I removed them and it never happened again.

The last thing it did was create some ungodly noises with my rear spoiler actuator.

German cars have strange electrical systems.

I really doubt that you will win this battle. Sorry...........
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Aftermarket HID

I installed a set of aftermarket Hid lamp on my Boxster S 2003.
I used them for more than a year now without any issue.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #7

Unfortunately, we seem to spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with issues (MIL’s, electrical codes, weird on-board computer displays, charging issues, major electrical problems like burnt wiring, etc.) caused by aftermarket HID and some LED lights. The components vary all over the map in quality, technical information (like replacement parts) are non-existent, as is any form of technical support. We had someone bring in a kit (invariably sourced online) which had instructions entirely in Mandarin Chinese. When we got a native speaker to translate them, we found out they were not even for this kit. Swell……… While we do remove these kits for customers, we do not install any as we do not want to have to deal with this time consuming nonsense.

Some states have taken to failing cars at inspection with aftermarket lighting, particularly the HID installations without projector assemblies; and municipalities are seeing this as a revenue generation opportunity in a down economy and issuing tickets for off color or glaring oncoming head lights, and wildly flashing turn signals.

These days, when we are asked to do a PPI for a prospective buyer, we list aftermarket lights, particularly the HID’s, as a “deduct” from the car’s value….
Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #8

I installed HID kit from DDM a little over a month ago.. it looks amazing.. no issues so far, however I have to adjust my headlights to point a bit down.

In the manual it says "turn hex bolt clockwise" anyone knows size of allen wrench and how long should it be?
Mine are way to short to get to it.

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #9

Garage
Been running HID kit for a whole year
no issues.
BUT remember stock halogens run @ 55Watt
the HID's run @ 35 Watt.
HID's draw less power after they ignite

the H7 kit is PNP (plug and Play)
It doesn't require any extra splicing/grounding

Loose ground somewhere else?
maybe a wire came loose?
re-check connections that you touched
tape them if necessary
make sure all added components are secure/zip tied

check alternator output and or the battery(how old is it?)
Good luck
Chris

Last edited by chris97boxster; 04-13-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added more
chris97boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
SoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Sorry to say, this is a common occurrence with aftermarket HID units. Mine did that plus had the oil pressure light going on. Stopping the car and restarting it with the lights on corrected the problem for the day, but it still made me really nervous. I tried some HID manufacturer's fix but there is no winning so I removed them and it never happened again.

The last thing it did was create some ungodly noises with my rear spoiler actuator.

German cars have strange electrical systems.

I really doubt that you will win this battle. Sorry...........
My issue seems intermittent. I have had the battery light on, the oil light as well, and last night the spoiler was up when I pulled in the garage and turned the car off.

I tested the battery and alternator, both are good. Looks like I'm just having the "HID kit" issue... Guess I'll wait and see how much it bothers me over time and just remove them if it gets on my nerves too bad. Just weird that it didn't happen the first week until i put the new bulb in.