Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
AOS replaced. Now Coolant Leak.

I just replaced my AOS because it was due (that was a real b!tch). I did that 3 days ago and tonight when I was driving and the engine was at normal running temperature the read light next to the temp gauge started flashing. I pulled over after a few blocks and noticed there was smoke coming out of the passenger side vent and there is a severe coolant leak near the passenger side rear tire and an even bigger leak from the middle of the car. Turns out the light was flashing because my coolant was nearly completely drained (3 days ago the level was fine) I can't take a look at the engine now because it is dark out but just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be?

I was moving coolant hoses out of my way while I was doing the AOS. Could I not have hooked one back up properly?

It is a 2001 base with 87k miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Steve Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,522
It certainly sounds like you have dislodged a coolant pipe, though I must say that on all the writeups I have read re removing the AOS, I don't remember having to remove or even move any coolant lines....

As with all things after the fact, go back to basics and check all equipment you removed or disturbed when replacing the AOS.
Of course, you could just have had bad luck and split the coolant bottle while pushing and tugging pipes in that general area.

1)Look for coolant in the rear trunk - cracked coolant bottle.
2) Check coolant cap is on correctly and not leaking (Part No should end on 04).
3)Just to ensure you haven't an air lock, raise the D ring under the plastic cover where the oil filler / coolant filler is located. You can run the engine for a few days (several heat cylces) with it opened, all the time checking coolant level & topping up as required.
__________________
2001 Boxster S (triple black). Sleeping easier with LN Engineering/Flat 6 IMS upgrade, low temp thermostat & underspeed pulley.
2001 MV Agusta F4.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
I just replaced my AOS because it was due (that was a real b!tch). I did that 3 days ago and tonight when I was driving and the engine was at normal running temperature the read light next to the temp gauge started flashing. I pulled over after a few blocks and noticed there was smoke coming out of the passenger side vent and there is a severe coolant leak near the passenger side rear tire and an even bigger leak from the middle of the car. Turns out the light was flashing because my coolant was nearly completely drained (3 days ago the level was fine) I can't take a look at the engine now because it is dark out but just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be?

I was moving coolant hoses out of my way while I was doing the AOS. Could I not have hooked one back up properly?

It is a 2001 base with 87k miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The water pump is on the passenger side but if it starts to fail I would expect a smaller leak than what you described.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
The water pump is on the passenger side but if it starts to fail I would expect a smaller leak than what you described.

Jager
I am thinking that when my coolant drained, it pooled somewhere underneath near the middle. I am going to check tonight if the sun is still up. I have a feeling that it's the coolant reservoir. That's going to be a pain in the a$$.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Here is a tough one....

I decided to have a quick look tonight at the engine. I wanted to get a look at the coolant tank and water pump and find the possible culprit.... Here are the highlights

1. Coolant reservoir isn't leaking (carpet is not wet, no puddle of coolant)
2. Dead cat near the water pump (pulled apart easy, dead for a while)
3. Coolant tank will not hold coolant, just drips out the bottom of the car near the middle.

Before I knew it it was getting dark and I didn't have time to take the bottom panel off the bottom of the car to get access to the leak. I am thinking that it is a hose that came off. Any ideas would be great on this one.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
Registered User
 
tonycarreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
I decided to have a quick look tonight at the engine. I wanted to get a look at the coolant tank and water pump and find the possible culprit.... Here are the highlights

1. Coolant reservoir isn't leaking (carpet is not wet, no puddle of coolant)
2. Dead cat near the water pump (pulled apart easy, dead for a while)
3. Coolant tank will not hold coolant, just drips out the bottom of the car near the middle.

Before I knew it it was getting dark and I didn't have time to take the bottom panel off the bottom of the car to get access to the leak. I am thinking that it is a hose that came off. Any ideas would be great on this one.
when you say "dead cat"... you mean "meow-meow?"
__________________
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you."
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
when you say "dead cat"... you mean "meow-meow?"
Correct. I have a video and some pictures of it by the water pump but thought they might be a little graphic to post. I am going to try and get under the car today and see if it's a blown hose or a clamp or something hopefully cheap.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bwk
Posts: 22
Good luck!!

Am getting my boxie coolant tank replaced And oil filler lines etc!!800$ freaking dollars. And I bought the tank and it's already been pulled out by me!!! Ouch!!! And damn that Porsche coolant @ 65$ a bottle!!
__________________
98 Boxster
92 Benz sportline 2.6

Last edited by J's boxster; 04-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
J's boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Idaho Red Rocket 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nampa, ID.
Posts: 488
My first read I thought "dead cat" was referring to the catalitic converter. Since it pulled apart very easy, I was wondering what that would be like. Just how easy is it to remove a catalitic converter ?

As it is a real dead cat (toasted - I would think) that is kind of funny. The poor thing probably climbed in there after the car was parked to stay warm.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bwk
Posts: 22
Maybe

Nipple Assy broke on mine as well on the engine side of firewall! Check there too
And ewwwwww on the dead kitty.....
__________________
98 Boxster
92 Benz sportline 2.6
J's boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by J's boxster
Nipple Assy broke on mine as well on the engine side of firewall! Check there too
And ewwwwww on the dead kitty.....
What's a nipple assy? I'm not trying to be a ******************** but did you misspell the word or did you just mean nipple? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that that's what is going on after crossing off the other suspects
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
I jacked the car up today and after a lot of poking and pulling out more bits of cat... I found wear the leak was coming from... The f'n water pump! If I was correct in locating the leak, it appeared that the leak is coming from the bolt on the water pump closest to the ground but when I wiped it all dry with a paper towel and stuck my hand in, it felt like the leak was coming from higher up. Possibly a weeping hole? I think I am going to order the part from suncoast and once I receive it, take the car into a Porsche indie mechanic and have them work on it. I've had all the dead cat I can take for one month. I was hoping that it would have been an obvious leaking hose and it would be an easy replacement.

An additional note is that I did not start the car when I had a clear view of the water pump. I only start the car prior to removing the panels and shut it off before I removed them because the leak was pretty steady.

If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations I would be extremely grateful.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 97
I huess the easiest way see the leak would be to clean it up, crawl under and have a buddy pour some coolant/water in. since it comes straight out, should be straight forward.
__________________
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...dall/Car-1.jpg

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Steve Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,522
Pouring water into the coolant bottle will do nothing. That is, if it's a failed water pump -it (usually) has to be running to leak...
__________________
2001 Boxster S (triple black). Sleeping easier with LN Engineering/Flat 6 IMS upgrade, low temp thermostat & underspeed pulley.
2001 MV Agusta F4.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Pouring water into the coolant bottle will do nothing. That is, if it's a failed water pump -it (usually) has to be running to leak...
That's what I thought. That is the only reason I am not 100% sure that it's the water pump and not something a little higher that I can't see.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
swapping the AOS is a real b1tch? how long did it take you?
I was having upgraded headers put on and mechanic called to say I should change the AOS. I'm assuming this is a two hour job for no good reason...
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
swapping the AOS is a real b1tch? how long did it take you?
I was having upgraded headers put on and mechanic called to say I should change the AOS. I'm assuming this is a two hour job for no good reason...
The AOS should have only taken a couple hours but it seemed like every time we (brother and I) moved to the next step we hit a snag. A tube wouldn't come loose or we couldn't get a clamp off or we couldn't get a bolt to go in right. The list goes on and on. Not to mention the lighting wasn't very good nor was engine access (GAHH Top). Got it finished eventually tho and it seems to be fine now. One of the bolts isn't in quite right though still.

On another note it seems that after replacing my water pump the coolant leak has stopped. The re-manufactured part was around $300 (with a $36 core charge) and took me about 4 hours to put it in without help. I replaced my serpentine belt at the same time because mine was cracked and it was a good opportunity. The hardest part was probably the coolant tubing by the water pump and attached to the water pump was a real hassle to remove but with a screwdriver to pry it off seemed to make it easier.

The worst part would have to be all the cat parts I found even after I removed a whole bunch. There was still an arm and some bones, pretty gross stuff. I replaced the coolant that I drained with Prestone coolant after going to the dealer and seeing that it was $180 for 3 gallons and Prestone is $60 for 3 and is basically just a different color. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in 1.5-2 hours now knowing all the tools I need and the correct sequence of steps.

Mystery Coolant Leak Case Solved
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page