Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #21

Garage
Pretty funny about the Castrol Oil leading to engine failure. If that was true every BMW would be in the shop. BMW's oil is Castrol Synthetic, that is all they use and there oil changes are generally 15,000 mile intervals. I would not go that long between changes but it seems like a pretty good recomendation from BMW if that is all they use. Lubro-Molly and Motul also seem like good alternatives. I guess everyone has there opinions.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtessmer
I just left my local Oreilly Auto Parts here in Wausua, WI with 9 quarts of Castrol Full Synthetic 10W40...on sale until 3/29 for $4.99 a quart. What a bargin!

Also my first post....
The sale is on here in So. CA ! The sale maybe only for locations that O Reilly is new to, they recently bought out Kragen auto parts.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
I dropped into my local Porsche indy shop yesterday to ask them about doing a CEL inspection and possible repair. While I was there, I happened to notice the parts display they had set up. In the display they had bottles of M-1 and Lubro Molly. I asked them of M-1, Lubro Molly and Castrol Syntec which was best. Well you should have heard them break out laughing. When they calmed down, they said they would not put Castrol Syntec in their lawn mowers. To them it is bad stuff. They said if you want to blow up your engine use it.

Hans has been a Porsche mechanic for 50 years and the other guy (I dont remember his name) has been a mechanic for over 20 years. So I asked them to give their "opinions" of M-1 and Lubro Molly. They said none of todays oils are as good as they used to be. They finally told me they preferred the Lubro Molly.
I find it interesting that Castrol Syntec has a TV commercial claiming 8 times better wear protection than Mobil 1 & apparently Mobil 1 can't deny this since the commercial has been airing for over a year. :chicken:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #24

still waiting to see proof that the 5k interval recommend in several places for boxsters somehow is protective against engine damage. The argument is essentially that 80% of the oil never breaks down; its the 20% of 'additives'

Every oil analysis I've ever seen, and the BMW camp (Im in there) has been having oil checked forever, I can't recall seeing 15k oil that is in bad shape at all.

Maybe Jake R can comment on whether he thinks the frequent oil changes is beneficial
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #25

Maybe Jake R can comment on whether he thinks the frequent oil changes is beneficial

He already has, numerous times; as well as Charles Navarro. Search the various threads and you'll see he recommends it's one of the best things you can do for your engine, regardless of oil brand. I've been using Castrol Syntec 10W40 for the last few years and change it annually (approx 3k miles).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #26

Oil analysis results. 2 years and >11k between change

Not sure why you answered for them, but I have searched, and haven't found any evidence that frequent oil changes change anything. Not saying it doesn't, but facts are important
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #27

Garage
For those that have changed to Castrol (or any oil from Mobil1):
Did you flush the system before pouring in the new brand, or just start using the new brand the next time you changed your oil?
I am still using Mobil1, but have strongly considered changing to Castrol and the spin-on filter adapter for my next oil change. I thought I had read a post a while back advising doing a flush before changing oils. I am no expert, so I am just wondering what others have done.
Any thoughts?
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #28

Maybe this is the thread you're thinking of, MN:

Changing oil type question

I started it, and took the advice of Jake and did the flush before moving from Mobil1 0w-40 to Castrol Syntec 5W-40. I would have gone to the Syntec 10W-40, but we poor cousins north of the 49th can't get it.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #29

I don't know where Hans gets his opinion of Castrol either. I find it odd. I don't have any experience with Castrol Syntec, but I have used "dino" Castrol in my motorcycles for 40 years and my cars for 37 years. Motorcycles got and get changed at 2000 miles or annually, and cars at 3000 miles. Now my newer cars and motorcycles are on Mobil 1. My son "the genius" says we can go 5000 miles on the synthetic. I have been trying that in the cars for the last year, but I'm not so sure. I'm not worried about the motorcycles because Triumph recomends 10,000 mile changes. My motorcycles only get about 2000 to 3000 miles a year and they get changed every April. I still like 3000 mile oil changes on the cars. Am I wasting oil ?

Last edited by Idaho Red Rocket 3; 03-28-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #30
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamilun
Oil analysis results. 2 years and >11k between change

Not sure why you answered for them, but I have searched, and haven't found any evidence that frequent oil changes change anything. Not saying it doesn't, but facts are important
They've posted about it a bunch, not sure they want to keep answering the same questions over and over again because people are too lazy to do a little research/reading.

From Charles' website:

"What can be done to prevent an IMS failure?

There is no quick or easy fix. Like with many aircooled engines, many get torn down and rebuild BEFORE an engine failure so that engines can get upgraded. Short of a pre-emptive rebuild, the best preventative measures that can be taken are to be religious with your maintenance schedule. But keep reading, there's more that you can do.

What can be done is to change your oil more often. We recommend oil changes for the M96 and later engines (as we do for air-cooled engines) every 5,000 miles or 6 months.
If you track your car, you should change the oil after every race weekend or every other event at the bare minimum and should also consider used oil analysis to monitor the health of your engine.

Use a higher viscosity motor oil. There are several Porsche approved oils that are 5w40, rather than Mobil 1 0w40. Use of an oil that isn't API SM-rated with more Zn and P or an oil with moly extreme pressure anti-wear additives may improve engine life. Castrol Syntec 5w40 is an API SL rated oil that carries Porsche approval and is an excellent choice, and easy to get locally. Motul 8100 5w40 is another excellent Porsche approved lubricant. "
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Maybe this is the thread you're thinking of, MN:

Changing oil type question

I started it, and took the advice of Jake and did the flush before moving from Mobil1 0w-40 to Castrol Syntec 5W-40. I would have gone to the Syntec 10W-40, but we poor cousins north of the 49th can't get it.
Thanks clickman, that is the thread I was thinking about. Did you use the Valvoline racing oil for the flush? New filter for flush and again for Castrol?
That will probably be my plan for the next oil change (if the snow ever melts).
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #32

I change mine every 1500 lately. Just some more insurance I guess.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986
Thanks clickman, that is the thread I was thinking about. Did you use the Valvoline racing oil for the flush? New filter for flush and again for Castrol?
That will probably be my plan for the next oil change (if the snow ever melts).
I did use the recommended Valvoline oil.
I put the new filter in before the flush and did not change it again.
BTW, the car has been in storage since then and, until finances improve, there it will stay. I.e. it has not been driven with the new Castrol.