Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #41
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
So who are we base Boxster owners going to bash then??
Pontiac Solstice owners because they deserve it.

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #42
Pat

Yes, it is a chick's car in image at least. I'm more concerned with how a car drives than the image, though. That's why I own one.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #43

About 3 days ago, the most gentleman-like guy I know told me he was jealous of my car. If by chick car you mean "not showing off" like a ricer Evo, that's fine by me.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #44

The only reason I came on this thread and read through everything was to see which pic of the gorgeous chic Ekam posted!!

Chic's car? We had a chic with an '09 S at BrumosU and she was the 2nd fastest car there.
A Boxster is a driver's car, just not all owners are drivers.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #45
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40
So, last week I told some of my friends that I was thinking of getting a Boxster. Their immediate reactions was “That’s a Chicks Car”. Have any of you guys heard that? I have started noticing that there seems to be a greater number of women driving Boxsters than say Caymans or 911s. Have we got another Miata here?
Surf, what did you start here! Nothing like a chick in a boxster, I know my chick looks awesome in my 'S'!! It's a convertible...chicks look great in them! Personally, here in the bible belt, I wish I saw more chicks in Boxsters, heck more chicks in any Porsche! Just keep em clean and shiny
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Personally, here in the bible belt, I wish I saw more chicks in Boxsters, heck more chicks in any Porsche!
...Or just more chicks in general?
You sound kind of desperate........
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #47
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn
...Or just more chicks in general?
You sound kind of desperate........
Yup! For more chicks in Porsches! ...and less wanting to ride in my car or have me give them a manual lessons
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #48

In general, all convertibles are seen as girly because girls like convertibles.

But to me, the Boxster is a mans car. It has the formula of a sportscar. Mid engine, aerodynamic, lightweight.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #49

"Man's car" "woman's car" - they are just words with no solid meaning. Once again the imprecision of the human language lends itself to confusion, exploitation and cause for unnecessary anxiety among those susceptible individuals.

This person observed the fact that a higher proportion of women buy Boxsters over Caymans and 911s correctly. But did not understand the reason behind this observation. And furthered his error by trying to imply the car is not "manly" in amidst of his own confusion.

I think women buy Boxsters because:
1. Boxsters are cheaper - women still don't make as much money as men in the workforce overall.
2. Women don't care about 0-100 bragging rights as much - so the speed of the higher models isn't a huge lure.
3. The Boxster is a very good looking convertible - and more women would prefer to have pretty cars over V8s with nostrils on the bonnet.

All these are valid reasons for women preferring the Boxster. And if guys decide to buy the Boxster for similar reasons, they are just equally as valid.

Anyone who doesn't understand this is not a smart person in this regard, and their opinion on the matter warrants no further examination.

We can take pity in their lack of analytical prowess and move on.
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT

Last edited by Jinster; 03-21-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinster
"Man's car" "woman's car" - they are just words with no solid meaning. Once again the imprecision of the human language lends itself to confusion, exploitation and cause for unnecessary anxiety among those susceptible individuals.

This person observed the fact that a higher proportion of women buy Boxsters over Caymans and 911s correctly. But did not understand the reason behind this observation. And furthered his error by trying to imply the car is not "manly" in amidst of his own confusion.

1. Boxsters are cheaper - women still don't make as much money as men in the workforce overall.
2. Women don't care about 0-100 bragging rights as much - so the speed of the higher models isn't a huge lure.
3. The Boxster is a very good looking convertible - and more women would prefer to have pretty cars over V8s with nostrils on the bonnet.

All these are valid reasons for women preferring the Boxster. And if guys decide to buy the Boxster for similar reasons, they are just equally as valid.

Anyone who doesn't understand this is not a smart person in this regard, and their opinion on the matter warrants no further examination.

We can take pity in their lack of analytical prowess and move on.
My wife says too much hp scares her. I convinced her that the 42 hp gain over the 2004 286S was not going to be a problem, especially with PSM. And she has had no problems.

(the 360 scares her with ~410 hp with tubi).

I do not consider the Boxster to be a girls car. It is a driver's car. Any gearhead that doesn't enjoy driving a Boxster must be addicted to mega horsepower rather than a precision driving instrument. I have never been enamored with US muscle cars that can go like stink in a straight line and cannot turn for squat IMVHO.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 03-21-2011 at 09:52 PM.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
... It is a driver's car. Any gearhead that doesn't enjoy driving a Boxster must be addicted to mega horsepower rather than a precision driving instrument. I have never been enamored with US muscle cars that can go like stink in a straight line and cannot turn for squat IMVHO.
Oh I am... I like them all! Muscle, my Boxster, my 911, my E-30, my 2002, even my buddy's old Citroen 2CV (deux Cheveaux). If it's got wheels and a motor... I'm there!

Cheers!
Attached Images

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #52

Thumbs up

That's certainly not the car I expected to see in AutoX!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #53

especially "Bald headed" man should stay far away from it.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Can a Boxster S owner bashing the base Boxster owner? Because I need to bash someone so I can feel more superior.
Maybe we can establish a formal pecking order here.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #55

I think a lot of the perceptions about the Boxster came from the original stats. Fast forward to the current numbers and I doubt it would be labeled as a chicks car as quickly.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #56

Garage
Hi, first time poster here.
I just bought a '99 Arena red base.

and I just sold my '58 190SL it was also called a ladies car but that was
because of rosemarie nitribitt .

I've owned several fast cars like corvette and driven a couple of Ferrari's.
The Boxster is hands down the most fun to drive.

Great forum.......

~ Nick
nnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Welcome...have you posted pictures...you know it is a requirement as a newbie
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #58

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola911
My opinion is best illustrated in my recent saga-

First porsche was a 986. Loved it to death, but felt it needed more power
2nd was a 996. Had the power, didn't feel as fun
Bought a Lotus Elise. Had the fun, didn't have ANY practicality
Bought another 996. Had the practicality, still not as fun
Bought a 996tt and tuned the hell out of it. TOO beastly for city streets but still a blast

Wife had a cayenne somewhere in that string of cars

I've literally been through the entire porsche line and have gone full circle back to the boxster for fun driving. I feel like my opinion of the car is much better originated than what a friend thinks he knows. It is an awesome machine.
I have performed simular research as the test driver for PCNA press fleet for 2.5 yrs, as well as most every other new vehicle available for sale in the U.S. & every car made by GM worldwide. My conclusion: Boxster S is the funnest device ever created by man!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #59

My wife says "We think so too". I guess that is why we have 2 Boxsters.
Does that make me a girlyman ?
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #60

It's official -- it's not a chick car, it's a chick magnet!

Study: Women Date Porsche Boxsters, Men Take What They Can Get

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1051576_study-women-date-porsche-boxsters-men-take-what-they-can-get

d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote