Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

micro phone grill

In a 2000 S with no factory hands free equipment, is there a mic behined the micro phone grill? Can I use this for after market voice control? Is placing your own mic there, doable? The voice control would be for a double din nav unit/blue tooth phone etc

Last edited by jaykay; 03-15-2011 at 05:30 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
In a 2000 S with no factory hands free equipment, is there a mic behined the micro phone grill? Can I use this for after marker voice control? Is placing your own mic there, doable? The voice control would be for a double din nav unit/blue tooth phone etc
It's just a plug. It pulls right out.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

i did this for my Pioneer AVIC, but it doesn't work to well.
The mic catches to much surrounding noise
People can hardly understand me when I talk over bluetooth using this mic
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #4

Ditto with Chris

I also have an AVIC with the microphone installed under the grille on the steering column in my Cayman. I agree with Chris Zang that this isn't an optimal location for using Bluetooth or voice commands. Unless I'm stopped, nobody can understand what I'm saying. I will be moving it when time allows.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #5

okay that does it....I wont be putting the mic behind the micro phone grill.....ironic isn't it

thanks guys
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion
I also have an AVIC with the microphone installed under the grille on the steering column in my Cayman. I agree with Chris Zang that this isn't an optimal location for using Bluetooth or voice commands. Unless I'm stopped, nobody can understand what I'm saying. I will be moving it when time allows.
let me know if you find a better location
i actually disabled bluetooth on the AVIC so I don't get accidentally any calls routed to the AVIC
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
i actually disabled bluetooth on the AVIC so I don't get accidentally any calls routed to the AVIC
And then you can't shut off your car or your call will end. Can you believe that?! Very annoying !!
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #8

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm currently researching the installation of a double din system in my 2000 Boxster. I currently have a Traffic Pro, but NAVTEQ has not produced a map update for several years and there appears to be no prospect for one.

I recently installed an Avic U310BT that I bought on Craigslist in my daughter's 06 Honda Civic. In the course of researching the installation, I found that most people thought the AVIC microphones were poor quality, so I purchased a widely praised Garmin instead. It works very well in the Honda.

I'm wondering if the problem people discuss in this thread is related to the quality of the AVIC microphone rather than the mounting position in the Boxster. Does anyone have any experience using another brand of microphone?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #9

One problem is, and will be, that it is a convertible. A lot of extra road noise inside vs. a hardtop vehicle.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #10

I installed an AVH P3300BT in my project 986 and had the same response as the others did when I mounted the mic behind the mic speaker grille. I eventually found a good location on the underside of the lower dash to the right of the owners manual holder. It works well with the top up or down.
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
I had the microphone moved to the upper left corner of the windshield, and I also purchased the new update for the AVIC Z110BT which also changes the Bluetooth software. Dunno which change did the trick but the Bluetooth works GREAT now. I haven't had any trouble with conversations even at 70 mph. My car is a Cayman and the windows were up; that might make a difference for you.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Know this is an old thread, but I am trying to install my Alpine mic behind the mic phone grill, but I can't get the mic jack to fish through the minute opening. Can others please tell me how they did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleguy View Post
I installed an AVH P3300BT in my project 986 and had the same response as the others did when I mounted the mic behind the mic speaker grille. I eventually found a good location on the underside of the lower dash to the right of the owners manual holder. It works well with the top up or down.
Can you be more specific. My owners manual is located in the glove box.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker986 View Post
Know this is an old thread, but I am trying to install my Alpine mic behind the mic phone grill, but I can't get the mic jack to fish through the minute opening. Can others please tell me how they did it?

Can you be more specific. My owners manual is located in the glove box.
I hope you have better luck with call / voice clarity using that location than others, also, Appleguy has not been logged onto this forum since June of last year.

I have a Bluetooth unit in my 993 with a built-in mic in the face, completely useless. I ran an external mic to various locations, anywhere up high near the windshield stinks when going 50 mph plus due to wind noise, down low near shifter or head unit is too far away and not directly in front of you / your mouth. Best location by far is sitting on top of the steering column, other guys have been through it too and usually ended up putting their mics there also:

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I located my mix behind the wheel as in the pic and it worked ok.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #15

Same here, dead center on the steering column.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 AM   #16

Thanks guys for the responses.

Love the red stitching on that steering wheel too.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #17

I'm getting ready to do an installation and found this post on Renntech: Microphone in Dash - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

and this one:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/20442-2003-2004-boxster-avic-d3-install-with-most-bus/?hl=microphone#entry105374

These state that you can improve the sound quality of the stock microphone position by placing material around the microphone. One poster used hot glue and the other used foam.

I'd like to find a way to make the stock position work because it would look "cleaner", but I'd hate to have to install it and remove it because no one could understand me.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-20-2014 at 06:01 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote