986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   micro phone grill (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28131-micro-phone-grill.html)

jaykay 03-14-2011 06:02 PM

micro phone grill

In a 2000 S with no factory hands free equipment, is there a mic behined the micro phone grill? Can I use this for after market voice control? Is placing your own mic there, doable? The voice control would be for a double din nav unit/blue tooth phone etc

blue2000s 03-14-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay
In a 2000 S with no factory hands free equipment, is there a mic behined the micro phone grill? Can I use this for after marker voice control? Is placing your own mic there, doable? The voice control would be for a double din nav unit/blue tooth phone etc

It's just a plug. It pulls right out.

ChrisZang 03-14-2011 09:18 PM

i did this for my Pioneer AVIC, but it doesn't work to well.
The mic catches to much surrounding noise
People can hardly understand me when I talk over bluetooth using this mic

johnsimion 03-15-2011 05:33 AM

Ditto with Chris

I also have an AVIC with the microphone installed under the grille on the steering column in my Cayman. I agree with Chris Zang that this isn't an optimal location for using Bluetooth or voice commands. Unless I'm stopped, nobody can understand what I'm saying. I will be moving it when time allows.

jaykay 03-16-2011 05:13 PM

okay that does it....I wont be putting the mic behind the micro phone grill.....ironic isn't it

thanks guys

ChrisZang 03-16-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsimion
I also have an AVIC with the microphone installed under the grille on the steering column in my Cayman. I agree with Chris Zang that this isn't an optimal location for using Bluetooth or voice commands. Unless I'm stopped, nobody can understand what I'm saying. I will be moving it when time allows.

let me know if you find a better location
i actually disabled bluetooth on the AVIC so I don't get accidentally any calls routed to the AVIC :(

coolbreeze551 03-16-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
i actually disabled bluetooth on the AVIC so I don't get accidentally any calls routed to the AVIC :(

And then you can't shut off your car or your call will end. Can you believe that?! Very annoying !! :mad:

KevinH1990 12-01-2011 06:13 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm currently researching the installation of a double din system in my 2000 Boxster. I currently have a Traffic Pro, but NAVTEQ has not produced a map update for several years and there appears to be no prospect for one.

I recently installed an Avic U310BT that I bought on Craigslist in my daughter's 06 Honda Civic. In the course of researching the installation, I found that most people thought the AVIC microphones were poor quality, so I purchased a widely praised Garmin instead. It works very well in the Honda.

I'm wondering if the problem people discuss in this thread is related to the quality of the AVIC microphone rather than the mounting position in the Boxster. Does anyone have any experience using another brand of microphone?

DenverSteve 12-01-2011 07:23 PM

One problem is, and will be, that it is a convertible. A lot of extra road noise inside vs. a hardtop vehicle.

Appleguy 12-01-2011 08:22 PM

I installed an AVH P3300BT in my project 986 and had the same response as the others did when I mounted the mic behind the mic speaker grille. I eventually found a good location on the underside of the lower dash to the right of the owners manual holder. It works well with the top up or down.

johnsimion 12-02-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang (Post 241648)

I had the microphone moved to the upper left corner of the windshield, and I also purchased the new update for the AVIC Z110BT which also changes the Bluetooth software. Dunno which change did the trick but the Bluetooth works GREAT now. I haven't had any trouble with conversations even at 70 mph. My car is a Cayman and the windows were up; that might make a difference for you.

Parker986 01-19-2014 10:54 AM

Know this is an old thread, but I am trying to install my Alpine mic behind the mic phone grill, but I can't get the mic jack to fish through the minute opening. Can others please tell me how they did it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleguy (Post 266537)
I installed an AVH P3300BT in my project 986 and had the same response as the others did when I mounted the mic behind the mic speaker grille. I eventually found a good location on the underside of the lower dash to the right of the owners manual holder. It works well with the top up or down.

Can you be more specific. My owners manual is located in the glove box.

coreseller 01-19-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker986 (Post 381812)
Know this is an old thread, but I am trying to install my Alpine mic behind the mic phone grill, but I can't get the mic jack to fish through the minute opening. Can others please tell me how they did it?

Can you be more specific. My owners manual is located in the glove box.

I hope you have better luck with call / voice clarity using that location than others, also, Appleguy has not been logged onto this forum since June of last year.

I have a Bluetooth unit in my 993 with a built-in mic in the face, completely useless. I ran an external mic to various locations, anywhere up high near the windshield stinks when going 50 mph plus due to wind noise, down low near shifter or head unit is too far away and not directly in front of you / your mouth. Best location by far is sitting on top of the steering column, other guys have been through it too and usually ended up putting their mics there also:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psa98ada56.jpg

edc 01-19-2014 11:18 AM

I located my mix behind the wheel as in the pic and it worked ok.

Chuck W. 01-19-2014 11:24 AM

Same here, dead center on the steering column.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psa92e5cb3.jpg

Parker986 01-20-2014 02:28 AM

Thanks guys for the responses.

Love the red stitching on that steering wheel too.

KevinH1990 01-20-2014 05:56 AM

I'm getting ready to do an installation and found this post on Renntech: Microphone in Dash - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

and this one:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/20442-2003-2004-boxster-avic-d3-install-with-most-bus/?hl=microphone#entry105374

These state that you can improve the sound quality of the stock microphone position by placing material around the microphone. One poster used hot glue and the other used foam.

I'd like to find a way to make the stock position work because it would look "cleaner", but I'd hate to have to install it and remove it because no one could understand me.