Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #1

side vent removal

Anyone have tips on how to remove the side vents on the 986 quarter panels?

danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #2

search "de-snorkling" and you will find detailed instructions.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

I tried to desnorkel mine, took the screw out and tried pushing the black grill portion in but it didn't seem to be budging.. I'd also like to know the correct procedure to remove this piece so I can desnorkel my car!

Thanks!
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
There are a lot of posts on this, some show pictures that make it seem easy. From what I'm readying and from my experience it never comes out the same.

I was unable to remove the grill while the frame was still in the car, I ended up pushing from SW to NE on the lower left hand corner and the whole thing came out intact. At this point it just takes some work to get the whole frame and grill out in one piece. Once I got it out I cleaned it up good and still was not able to remove the grill from the frame...though I could clearly see how it doe disconnect. I will say I didn't try very hard because at that point I had no reason to have them in two separate pieces.

I have a 2000 'S', maybe other years are different. Like a lot of part on the Boxster just when you think you will break something it snaps out.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Garage
Had a pdr guy remove a door ding near my drivers side vent. He had to get it out to get his dent tool in there. When I talked to him at the end of the day he said he nearly gave up and that it was a nightmare to get out. He had my bentley manual and he does this for a living every day.... sooooo?? I'd probably be nervous about breaking it too!

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #6

I removed both of mine years back to paint the grills arctic silver...my recollection was of being very careful, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #7

I got them out with some patience and a plastic frosting spreader from the wifes collection of do-dads--You need to push on the grill at the 1st and 4th fins(with the spreader or similar tool) on both sides to separate it from the air guide (after removing the screw from the top)there is a groove in the guide at the bottom left corner so you need to push it up and to the right after you are sure it is separated from the grill--Personally I think an overpaid engineer overthought this one.
danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyl55
overpaid engineer
Good example of an oxymoron