Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Lux

Exclamation Official Cayman S pics online!

Rennteam has the pics online. You have to register to see them.
http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=103270&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

I had really high hopes for this car, looks-wise. I don't think Porsche did a very good job.

Performance, on the other hand, should be outstanding.

-

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:52 PM   #2

Whoa... that's not so good...
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #3

If you want to see pix of the cayman you don't have to register for renntech. Just click below to go to Porsche's multimedia pages on it:

http://www2.us.porsche.com/cayman/pcna.asp?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #4

that is a beautiful car. I bet it would be a blast to drive to it's limits. can't wait for more technical data on this machine, skidpad info etc..
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to CincyFreeze
Does anyone know what price point Porsche is trying to hit with it?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #6

It's $8000 more than the Boxster S. You get 15 more horsepower and a funny roofline for your money. You're also now within ten grand of a base 911 and the 30 extra horsepower and heaps of extra ego petting that goes along with it.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #7

Well, I'd rather buy a 2 year old 911, than a Cayanne.....OR a boxster S
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #8

Talking

I have a nice 01 911 coupe for sale at $45,900. I am with you a used 911 vs the Cayenne.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
Lux

The car could've been designed much better. However, I'd take the performance and feel of a mid-engined car over a 911 any day. I can't see how people compare the two cars. They are fundamentally different. Graduating "up to" a 911 makes no sense. It's like graduating to a Cayenne Turbo from a Boxster???

BTW, it's not "just" 15 more hp. The 3.4L motor offers a bit more torque. But I agree, overall it's still not enough of a bump in hp. Porsche needs to stop "protecting" the 911 dorks and let the Boxster/Cayman succeed like it can.

-
Old 05-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #10

Talking

The 911 is a fine car in its own right. No need to bash it!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #11

You know always had my heart set on buying a Porsche. And naturally the choice was a 911. But then I became a fan of top down driving. Not convertibles but roadsters. So buying a Porsche became less of priority over buying a two seat top down performance sports car. Along came the Boxster a perfect marriage of the Sports Car and roadster concepts.

At this point I really feel that trading in for a 911 would be a total poser move for a guy without kiddies needing a back seat. I would be giving up handling for a better looking car and more "street clout". That just seems wrong to a true driving enthusiast.
unless of course it was a 996 GT3 RS!

That would be my perfect two car garage. (Although I've never driven the Cayenne Turbo)
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:40 AM   #12

The 911 is a fine car from any standpoint. It is not everyone's choice, just as the Boxster is labelled a "girl car" by many.

That view is bogus, just as the view that the 911 is ill handling or a poser car.

I see guys making these 911s fly around the track and it is impressive indeed.

And if you have every driven the current 911 Turbo, well...........

Old 05-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #13

I agree the 911 is not a poser car, a 1st rate auto by any standard.
Just strikes me that allot of posers(people who are less concerned about Performance driving and just want to look cool) are attracted to that car, you know more interested in image than the nuts and bolts of it all.
But the same can be said of Corvettes, Vipers etc.

By the way I don't think there is anything wrong with being a poser. Celebrities are always on TV driving Murcielagos, Modenas, GT40's and I don't 'hate on them' for it. A very expensive car like the 911, Modena will always attract some one who can afford that kind of car before someone who's actually interested in 'stretching' its legs(or knows anything about the Porsche legacy). The previous owner of my car was that type of P-car buyer and I'm very grateful to him because my car was practically new!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 AM   #14

Talking

"The previous owner of my car was that type of P-car buyer and I'm very grateful to him because my car was practically new!"

There you go! As a dealer, I WANT to buy cars from "posers." When I see mods, lowered susp. etc, I RUN away from that car.

Once I sell it to you however, you can go racing if you would like!

Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #15

I agree. My friend is looking for a Subaru wagon and she forwarded one low mileage ad where a Sparco racing seat was installed for the passenger. I told her : NEXT.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #16

INfo on the Cayman

Just received the information from Porsche:

Discover the power of the Cayman S; a newly developed 3.4-liter mid-mounted, flat-six aluminum engine and fine-tuned, six-speed manual transmission. The result? An impressive 295 hp with a top track speed of 171 mph.

Not the quantum leap I expected. Porsche probably detuned this hot car some protecting the 911 rear.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #17
Lux

Here's my problem with the 911 and Porsche in general. I don't like the 911. A car with its engine hanging out the back is not my cup of tea. I don't care about its heritage. BFD. Now, what I do like are mid-engined cars. So what's the problem? I want a faster mid-engined car!

The logical upgrade for me is NOT a 911. It's a Boxster-type car with more power. But everybody thinks that you buy an "entry" into the Porsche world thru the Boxster and "upgrade" to the 911. This makes no sense. The cars are fundamentally different.

Look at the Cayenne. There's the lowly 6 cylinder, the V8, and the ludicrous-speed Turbo. Would you tell a V6 Cayenne owner to "upgrade" to a 911? Of course not. Totally different car. Well, same goes for the Boxster.

Why doesn't the Boxster have the same power upgrade path that is present in the 911 and the Cayenne (which BTW, is a friggen SUV for crying out loud).

Not that I really care. I'm enjoying my Boxster at the moment. But from what I can see, my next car won't be a Porsche.

-
Old 05-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Well, I'd rather buy a 2 year old 911, than a Cayanne.....OR a boxster S
i would take a 987s over the last generation 911 cab...in fact i choose the new box s over a 2004 cab after long back to back drives in both cars with my friend who has raced and built and owned number sports cars over the past 30 years...we both picked the box. because of better steering, better handling, slightly stiffer chassis, better ergonomics,better and quicker shifting and clutch action,and quicker reving engine...the 911 was only slightly faster in a straight line...the box gave up 35hp but with better handling and lighter weight it would be very close on a track, and perhaps the box would win....i love 911s and have owned 3 over the years but hate it when 911 fans diss the boxster....its just igorant....
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #19

I'm optimistic. The 3.4 liter and 295 hp are not quite as high as desired, but then the first year of production on any brand NEVER sees the top engine at the start of the run. Better things will follow, I think. A 3.6 liter with 300+ hp in a mid-engine layout with superb handling (i.e. existing boxster frame ) in a couple of years wouldn't seem to stretch the imagination too far.
Besides, I need some time to win the lottery so I can afford the 60 grand. Triple black will look awesome on the coupe.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Here's my problem with the 911 and Porsche in general. I don't like the 911. A car with its engine hanging out the back is not my cup of tea. I don't care about its heritage. BFD. Now, what I do like are mid-engined cars. So what's the problem? I want a faster mid-engined car!

The logical upgrade for me is NOT a 911. It's a Boxster-type car with more power. But everybody thinks that you buy an "entry" into the Porsche world thru the Boxster and "upgrade" to the 911. This makes no sense. The cars are fundamentally different.

Look at the Cayenne. There's the lowly 6 cylinder, the V8, and the ludicrous-speed Turbo. Would you tell a V6 Cayenne owner to "upgrade" to a 911? Of course not. Totally different car. Well, same goes for the Boxster.

Why doesn't the Boxster have the same power upgrade path that is present in the 911 and the Cayenne (which BTW, is a friggen SUV for crying out loud).

Not that I really care. I'm enjoying my Boxster at the moment. But from what I can see, my next car won't be a Porsche.

-
The problem I have with this popular viewpoint is, well, what does it matter where the engine is? Let the results speak for themselves!

Yes, I agree, it's a stupid place for the engine, but hey, they make it work, and they're not going to change it. The 911 is Porsche, in all its funky glory.

If you really want a faster Boxster, why not do an engine swap?