Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scycle2020
i love 911s and have owned 3 over the years but hate it when 911 fans diss the boxster....its just igorant....
I feel the same way, but the reverse is true as well. They ARE different cars. When I said that the Cayman was within spitting distance of the 997, my main point (which I failed to make clear) is that I didn't see how this sort of pricing structure would work for Porsche, when the image car is the 911. Most people would look at the Cayman and go, "Geez, why would I buy that???"

eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #22
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
The problem I have with this popular viewpoint is, well, what does it matter where the engine is? Let the results speak for themselves!

You are completely missing the point. It's not just the end result. Go compare a S2K, 987 & E36 M3. All have 240 hp. So do they all drive the same? Not even close. A Cayman/Boxster with a 911 motor will not drive the same as a 911. It's not just about numbers, but also about how a car feels. If it was just about numbers, I'd go with a Z06 all day long. Cheap to mod and would kick the snot out of just about any Porsche in a straight line and in the corners (too bad the car has the feel/feedback of mud). I was 2 steps from pulling the trigger on a Z06. The speed and handling was awesome. But the rest of the car (interior, driving feel, fit/finish) sucked ass.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, it's a stupid place for the engine, but hey, they make it work, and they're not going to change it. The 911 is Porsche, in all its funky glory.

Nobody's asking Porsche to change the 911...at least I'm not. I don't really care what they do to it. I just want to have the power options that they give to the 911 and the Cayenne SUV. Why is Porsche (and some owners) against this?

Now, about the engine being in the back...sure Porsche makes it work...at the expense of excessively stiff rear shocks and springs to go against Nature (physics). I'd buy a front engine car way before I'd buy a rear engine car.

Quote:
If you really want a faster Boxster, why not do an engine swap?

Hmm. Spend another $15K for a motor swap (and also void my warranty) in my brand new S? Nah. I'd probably do it if I was out of warranty though.

And lastly, why would someone buy a Cayman instead of a 997? Well, let's see:
1. It's mid-engined. Better handling thru physics.
2. It's reported to be faster around the Nurburgring than a 997 (yet is cheaper).
3. It's got a ton more storage space so it's more practical if you don't need 2 seats plus 2 pseudo-seats.
4. It's lighter. Again, better handling thru physics.
5. It's cheaper than a 997.

-

Last edited by Lux; 05-25-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #23

Quote:
I feel the same way, but the reverse is true as well. They ARE different cars. When I said that the Cayman was within spitting distance of the 997, my main point (which I failed to make clear) is that I didn't see how this sort of pricing structure would work for Porsche, when the image car is the 911. Most people would look at the Cayman and go, "Geez, why would I buy that???"
good point...and they dont want to compete with themselves...
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #24

More expensive yeah!

5. It's cheaper than a 997.

Wrong answer. In order to be better it has to be more expensive. Come on guys get with the program! Repeat after me " I will not question the reason why the 911, an antiquated design, is a better handling car than the Boxster or Cayman" The only car better than a 911 is a more expensive 911. Per Autoweek latest issue, the Cayman was 7 seconds faster than the 987 and 4 seconds faster than the 911( 997) around the Nuhrurring