Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #21

Sam,
The company I used up here in Queensland is called HPC (High Performance Coatings) and I believe they have offices around Aus.
There are a couple of options available - silver which reduces heat by ~ 25% or black which reduces heat by an extra 3-4%.
You can get them coated internally or both internally and externally
My MX-5 engine bay was much cooler after coating new SS headers, even though I removed the factory heat shield. This made me decide to coat my MV Agusta motorcycle header and connection pipework which tends to run hot here in the sub-tropics. And after 4 years, the MX-5 headers looked as good as the day I put them on.
I had my MV's exhaust headers and connection pipe coated (both sides int & ext) last year for $220.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #22
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Pentosin power steering fluid will damage any rubber part it touches, check and clean your coolant hoses,etc.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Sam,
The company I used up here in Queensland is called HPC (High Performance Coatings) and I believe they have offices around Aus.
There are a couple of options available - silver which reduces heat by ~ 25% or black which reduces heat by an extra 3-4%.
You can get them coated internally or both internally and externally
My MX-5 engine bay was much cooler after coating new SS headers, even though I removed the factory heat shield. This made me decide to coat my MV Agusta motorcycle header and connection pipework which tends to run hot here in the sub-tropics. And after 4 years, the MX-5 headers looked as good as the day I put them on.
I had my MV's exhaust headers and connection pipe coated (both sides int & ext) last year for $220.
+1 on coating over wrapping, HPC has been around for decades here in the USA assuming it is the same company. The P/S line does unbolt under the rocker panel. Very hard to unbolt at the pump due to access. Very hi-pressure hydraulic line so if you try to repair it make sure it's done properly. I have the same headers & I zip-tied the P/S line out of the way & ceramic coated the headers.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #24

Thanks guys, will get the headers coated.

Cheers,
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #25

Any tips for removing the line at the pump end? What needs to be removed to get to it?
Sam
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #26

it will probably be pretty tough with the intake & ac compressor in place. the idea is to pull the tube out of this hole while pressing the red thing back into the reservoir:

the tube looks like this:

under the car, it's just a fitting that unscrews. when you put the new one in, insulate it & bend it up so it doesn't touch the header:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #27

Appreciate the images. I have intake loose and can move AC pump if need be? So I press the red part in whilst pulling hide straight out? It have some sort of press lock fitting?

Sam
Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #28

as you pull on the tube, the red piece will try to come with it. press it back into the reservoir & keep pulling.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #29

Gotcha, will do. Thank goodness it's not a threaded fitting in there, would be hard to get a spanner in there!

The other end, do I fit a wrench on both sides of the join or do i use vise grips on the join and a wrench on one side?
Sam
Old 02-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #30

use two wrenches. there's a plastic cover under the car just in front of the left rear wheel. remove the cover to expose the fittings. prepare to catch a little pentosin when you break the line.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #31

Turned out to actually be the hose at the front of the pump. Was good practice getting the one pictured from the rear of the pump of anyway!

Hose has been repaired and I have picked up some VW power steering fluid part number G00 4000 M2. Now all I got to do is to put it all back together....

I got a fire sleeve over the rubber section of the hose too

Sam
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #32

Insite (or anyone else!) I think I may have cross threaded this fitting. It has done up tight, but I think it might be leaking still and Im not entirely happy that it looks straight....

Anyway, my question is, that part on the pump that it screws into, it looks like that can be removed? Is this correct?

Appreciate your help.
Sam
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #33

Garage
I think that is a seperate fitting, but not sure. Might be better to remove pulley & try installing line again & be worth it to buy best wrench for the job. (SNAP-ON)
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #34

yeah - it appears to be an A/F size nut which surprised me, thought everything was metric on these cars?

If anyone has a spare PS pump laying about or easily accessible, could you please see if this fiiting is seperate? Certainly looks to me like it is, but I dont want to drain my new fluid just to find out....

Sam
Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #35

Sparked -

I checked; the fitting is removable. It takes a 28mm wrench.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #36

Thanks - that is good news! I have started the car and at idle with no steering movement there is no leak. Not sure if I'm safe yet though, will have to drop it off the stands and turn the wheel.

It's gotta be a good sign though?

Thanks,
Sam