Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltren
They say it's the cupped tires. But...cupped tires are a result of chronic overinflation, right? and knowing human nature, how likely is that, really?

...Gotta wait till at least March...no garage.

Cheers!
I have never had cupped tires on the front...didn't know it was possible. It is common on low profile wide tires even when you make sure to never inflate them...or did you say rear..sorry.

Yes a garage would help!! You have pictures of this young beast?

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #22

what size fronts? what's on the rear? i have two bridgestone potenza so2a that i took off the front of mine when i replaced the rears that are still in great shape. 18s if you're interested.

and yes pics would be great!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #23

I thought cupped tires were from underinflation, or at least that's how it worked on my bike.

My Box had badly worn and cupped Pirelli front tires when I bought it and the high speed vibration was pretty bad. To make it worse, the dude had Nexens on the back. A set of new Michelins all around fixed it.

Last edited by Mark_T; 01-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #24

Will do

Stupid Q: IMS cannot be done with the engine in the car, correct?

Pics forthcoming...though it might be a couple days, looks like the snow gods are about to have their way with us.

If memory serves, the car has 19"s. Hell I have the window sticker and the wheels were a $2300 option. I don't know the whole option list but I think the only things available for a base model that the car doesn't have are heated seats and the (?) 9-speaker system.

List for the car was about $53k

It's got Yokos on it, and I cannot see a damn thing wrong with them. Seem to have good grip, even below freezing.

There is definitely a clunk from the right rear strut, and there are major clunks and jerks from the front when reversing at or near full lock.

Small oddity today: The car had been computing mileage at a dismal 18.6 for weeks, and declining. Today I put in some crap ($2) injector cleaner, reset the MPG on the OC, and bam, 25 MPG. Interesting. Must be the OC.

Anybody know IMA Motorsport in Chantilly, VA?

Cheers!
eltren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #25

Quote:
the retrofit does not require the engine be removed. upgrade requires the shaft be removed and shipped to LN engineering.

Quote:
It's got Yokos on it, and I cannot see a damn thing wrong with them. Seem to have good grip, even below freezing.
careful, or you'll risk turning your $8800 steal into $8800 worth of scrap...

Quote:

Cheers!
yes, see the PM i sent. i think there are a few people in this area that use IMA. and if you like to golf, ask Ivan about golfing while they work on your car. (but not in the winter)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #26

How do you get 25mpg? are you driving highway mostly?

I'm getting 16-17 on good days (and that's counting miles and dividing my gallons, no OC)

I have a 2000 base and driving 60% city 40% highway

Sasha

Quote:

Pics forthcoming...though it might be a couple days, looks like the snow gods are about to have their way with us.

If memory serves, the car has 19"s. Hell I have the window sticker and the wheels were a $2300 option. I don't know the whole option list but I think the only things available for a base model that the car doesn't have are heated seats and the (?) 9-speaker system.

List for the car was about $53k

There is definitely a clunk from the right rear strut, and there are major clunks and jerks from the front when reversing at or near full lock.

Small oddity today: The car had been computing mileage at a dismal 18.6 for weeks, and declining. Today I put in some crap ($2) injector cleaner, reset the MPG on the OC, and bam, 25 MPG. Interesting. Must be the OC.

Cheers!
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #27

weeeelll...

Might just be the OC. previously when I've done the math on the gas mileage,
the OC was showing 18-19, long division said nope, 22. Will do again next tank.

Yes, HWY miles. VERY odd, mileage seemed to be improving the faster I went.
For a minute there I had almost 26 at 80 on level ground. Nah...can't be, can it?

The car is running far better now than it was, nothing I've done, just driving the MF'r.
When I picked it up from the cops it had been sitting for over a year.
When they thought about it they jumpstarted it and let it idle for a while to charge.
It was doing less than 15mpg the first week. Reeked of unburned fuel. Clean now!

BTW, how easy is it to flat-spot these tires by just letting a car sit outside?
This is Virginia. HOT, COLD, you name it.

eltren is offline   Reply With Quote