Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

Pulled the trigger! Thanks!

I have wanted a Boxster since the first time I saw a picture of one back around '97. The 550 Spyder has always been my favorite Porsche and when I first saw the Boxster I knew I had to have one some day. After 9 months of reading this forum and searching for the right car, I pulled the trigger on a '03 triple black base w/70K, clean PPI and 3 year warranty, it's everything I wanted and more, well, an "S" would have been nice, but it wasn't in my range.

This is my 4th Porsche, ('74 914 2.0, '82 944 & '78 911sc Targa) and is already my favorite. It's been over 20 years since my last last one having kids and all, I don't know how I manged to go so long without one. I put over 200 miles on it the day I bought it (Saturday). I couldn't wipe the grin off my face or stop giggling like a little girl taking the long way home through the wine country.

The Boxster came loaded, but I still need to make her mine. I had planned from the beginning to get some aftermarket wheels, but I really like the wheels it came with, so I'll probably just have them powder coated matte black or gun metal (did I mention it came with a new set of Potenza's with the stickers still on them I like the Cayman style rear spoiler, so that will be on the list. I don't like the single exhaust tip, it needs a duel. With the warranty, I have a little piece of mind until the clutch needs replacing and I'll upgrade the IMS then. I also plan to tint the rear tail lights and add clear side markers. I have a line on a set of "S" calipers and rotors, that might happen but the bank account is a little low right now.

I would really like to thank this forum and all it's members. Without all of the advice and posts I read, I'm not sure I would have waited to find the right car or have been nearly as informed on what to be looking for when I did, this forum is an awesome resource!

Time to go put some more miles on her, does anyone have any advice on how to wipe the stupid grin off my face so I don't look like an idiot driving it??? A couple pics below, the fog has been pea soup here, I'll post some better one's when the sun comes out.

Dan

Last edited by Chase53; 01-17-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Chase53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #2

Congratulations! Nice looking ride Dan. I almost got the triple black but the timing didn't work out as I had just spent my play money on a Harley.

I too like the wheels and it's nice that you got a little piece of mind with the warranty.

But I'm sorry to say there's no cure for the grin. I've only had mine since last summer, but still get the goofy grin when I wind her out on a twisty road. I don't think it ever goes away.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Beautiful car! As many know that is my favorite rim, one of these days I'll find someone that doesn't like them and I'll rescue them from their pain

As for that grin, lets see, 6000rpm in 3rd gear in a 45mph zone...and some blue lights

Enjoy!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Congrats, looks like a beautiful Box!
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Dan, congrats on the new ride! You'll enjoy every day you sit behind the wheel (mine is in storage and the days are long). The car looks nice and clean; I can tell you've discovered how fun these are (coming from a 911 owner for over 25 years).

The car appears to have Carrera lightweights...don't change those out for aftermarket and I'm quite partial to them myself.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #6

Don't touch those wheels!

They are perfect as is.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

Congrats! You'll be happy with it I'm sure, especially with the peace of mind of a warranty. Those wheels look great on the Boxster, I would keep them! I'd also love a Cayman style rear wing, if you ever do purchase one please do let me know where you got them!
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #8

Thanks, for the comps and the input, guys. I wont touch the wheels now that I know what I have, I really do like them.

jmatta, your S looks awesome, I really need to get the duel tips, spoiler and clear side markers now! I saw in your profile your a PCA instructor. Both my parents had Porsches and were PCA members. I was an SCCA instructor one year in the early '80's. I use to race formula cars and held an SCCA & FIA Pro license back then. I started racing karts when I was 11 and both my son's started racing karts before they could ride a bike. My youngest (16) is racing shifter karts now, we are looking to move him into Spec Miata next year.

whipe350, thanks, blue light in my mirror would wipe the grin off in a hurry.

Lordblood, this is one I have been eying, Pelican sells a similar one if not the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130470101174&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does anyone know a good source for duel tips for the exhaust?

Last edited by Chase53; 01-17-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Chase53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

That's a beauty!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #10

Hang your head out the window when you're cruising the wine country up in Napa. You'll soon learn to keep your mouth shut to keep the bugs off your teeth. That will wipe the perma-grin off your face.
Happy Boxstering.

Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote