Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

So my 05 S should be here by early next week...now what to get?

I'm not looking to dump money into the car already but what else is considered a necessary for these cars? The oil was just changed and with 20K miles the services have been completed. Guess I need a decent indoor car cover and is there a simple way to connect my iPhone into the Bose system? Any suggestions on what car cover? Already have the battery tender with cigarette lighter adapter.

I'm not going to do the IMS upgrade right now...do I "need" the underpulley or low temp thermostat? I'll use this car often but no track use. I tend to drive slowly and won't be pushing the car to it's limits at all.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Are you sure your 05 can have the IMS replaced without having to split the case halves? I know that one of the forum experts has said that even though the 05's were supposed to allow that, some haven't.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #3

Wayne Dempsey's "101 Projects for your Boxster" book should one of the first on the list. Doesn't sound like you'll driving anytime soon, so read up and enjoy when the weather gets nice. Toss up if your IMS bearing is replaceable; doubtful you would see any need to upgrade to an underdrive pulley, but the t-stat could be a good addition, since you should likely replace the water pump (> 3 years) according to Jake Raby.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #4

Wayne's book is on it's way and should arrive either tomorrow or Saturday.

I am not sure about the build date to know if the IMS is upgradeable without splitting the engine.

Can't wait for the roads to get clean so I can take the car out for a spin.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #5

You could buy a tire plug kit to stow in the Frunk for emergencies, and maybe a can of fix-a-flat that inflates the tire, in case the factory compressor doesn't work. My first tire replacement I'll install an aftermarket TPMS.

Cup holder to replace the useless factory ones?

Do a search as far as Ipid/phone options, I don't think there is a "cheap" one.

#1 Enjoy lots of top-down driving!

Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Evening, you've owned a bunch of Boxsters, did you do anything to those you liked or enjoyed. BTW what happened with all those previous cars? Hope they all had happy endings.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

Here is the short version. Bought a 2000 323Ci BMW brand new, put 90K miles on it sold it, bought a 99 Boxster from auction with about 19K miles on it, put 45K miles on it and only had to replace the alternator, got married, then #1 comes along, sold the 99 Boxster and bought a new H2, couldn't really drive the H2 all the time for work so the wife at 5'1" drove the H2, I bought another Boxster, this time an 01 S with 22K miles on it, put about 40K miles on it and #2 comes along, I panic thinking I need 4 seats. buy an 05 Explorer then realize I "need" a second car to cut down the miles on the Explorer, find an 05 S CPO with 16K miles in IL, have it transported to my home, drive it 5 miles, never even register it and get the crazy idea to get a Ferrari, sell the new to me 05 S and get a 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena with 8K miles, have it transported from AZ, drive it very rarely but put 1K miles on it, decide I'd rather drive a Boxster 10K miles a year and use it for work than have a Ferrari garage queen, sell the 360 and begin my search for a Boxster S, try to want a 986 but know the 987 is what I want, search the web for about 5 weeks, find a nice 05 S in KY, make the deal and the car was loaded on the transporter at 3pm and i should have it Monday night.

Whew, that made me dizzy.

I think a car cover would be nice and if I can connect my iPhone that might be enough to make me happy with the car.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Dang you drive a lot! SeaNile's life in a nutshell, I bet your wife is glad your affairs were with cars! After all that I'm surprised you didn't get a 2010 'S'...no really I understand I already have the itch for a 2009 'S' and have it be my only car but then I wouldn't have anything to fix so I'd be bored.

Yes ipod, cup holders, and a spare garmin in the glove box. Oh and don't sell this one without telling me first .
Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #9

The name and location of a good local Porsche mechanic so that you don't have to pay the high prices at the dealership when your car needs servicing.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

There is a well respected Indy very close by, Dougherty Automotive in West Chester, PA. Not sure how the prices compare to the dealer.

Car should be here around 7pm tonight which will be about 2hrs before the snow/ice storm. I really hope I do not have to wait a month to drive the car.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31
There is a well respected Indy very close by, Dougherty Automotive in West Chester, PA. Not sure how the prices compare to the dealer.

Car should be here around 7pm tonight which will be about 2hrs before the snow/ice storm. I really hope I do not have to wait a month to drive the car.
Well....it is past 7pm EDT...you are either out still driving or waxing it.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #12

Came about an hour late just as the snow started. I'll tell you, this is Boxster #4 for me and my quick once over tells me this is the best one yet. 20K miles and about 3 flaws/small chips, no curb rash, no swirls, so rug stains, damn near new tires, no wear on the interior parts, front and rear trucks are perfect. This was one well cared for car. I can't wait to take it for a cruise. I still shake my head and think this is an incredible car for $26,500. The best part is when I sit on it, it feel like home. These cars are awesome!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Rock on! Congrats and post pics soon! Sorry bout the snow . I have two clean cars and one of them will have to endure the rain and left over crud and slat from last weeks snow that is sure to spray up during a light rainfall.
Attached Images