Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Taz

Unhappy Window up/down

On My 986, On the drivers side window won't go down automatically unless I lift the Handel On the outside or the inside?when I go to put the top down both windows drop! Help please !

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
On My 986, On the drivers side window won't go down automatically unless I lift the Handel On the outside or the inside?when I go to put the top down both windows drop! Help please !
Taz:

I'm assuming you mean that the driver's side window will not drop that 1/2 inch and then stay dropped unless you keep either the inside or outside door handle pulled up?

If that's the case, the problem is most likely in the microswitch which is located inside of the door lock assembly. What happens is that the door contact microswitch inside the lock assembly is not electrically showing the door as "open" when the door is actually open, and that makes the control unit raise the window because it "thinks" that the door has already been closed.

Sometimes you get lucky and it's only the connections at the wires leading into the door lock assembly that have gotten "de-soldered" or cracked and that can be fixed by taking the assembly apart and re-sodering.

Someone on here even managed to heat up the connections and flow solder without even taking the assembly apart.

If it is the microswitch inside the door lock assembly, that part can only be bought as part of the assembly from Porsche.

It's part #14 in the attached diagram.

If you are adventurous, you can buy a similar switch from Digi-Key.com and use its top part with the plunger to swap into your broken Porsche switch. That switch is around $5, the Porsche assembly is well over $100. The Digi-Key part number is SW719-ND. Kudos to Garrett376 on another forum for this very hard to find "find".

Regards, Maurice.
Attached Images

Last edited by schoir; 01-14-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add text reference to diagram
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Taz

Thanks, the door is coming apart right now to see if it is the wire or switch!
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:11 AM   #4

When you pull the door apart make sure that you wiggle the wires a bit while its connected to your battery still to see where the connection is bad. For me the connection was at the harness and it was loose. When I pulled the harness and connection towards me while reaching in the door my window would drop. When I let the harness go it would go back up. I tried everything and I resorted to a zip tie to hold the harness snug to the door moulding by using one of the holes in the door where the clips go to fasten the interior panel to the door (if that makes sense). It was so easy and has worked for 6 months so far.

Just to clarify, I wrapped the long zip tie around the connected harness/door lock mechanism and then routed the zip tie through a hole in the door frame. The idea was to pull the connection just slightly and keep it from moving around. It gave me a solid connection.

Sorry no photos. Good luck.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote