Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #1

Garage
brake flush ???

as background 2006-987

before i parked the black sheep for winter a yr ago, i flushed the brakes in the usual fashion using a brake bleeder tank

was talking to a shop (to build a future work/client relationship), and they claimed that you could only flush the brakes using the control module .

to be fair they admit to being green on the newer water cooled engines, lots of exp on aircooled.

anyway my question regards the none use of the brake module for flushing.

1. without it the brake lines get flushed but not the ABS unit, and is it really acceptable to Porsche ?

2. is it good enough?

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #2

What the shop told you is nonsense, and quite often a way some shops pad their bills; you only need to cycle the ABS/PSM system if the brake system has been either drained, opened up for service (e.g.: replacement of the system pump and associated valves), or has gotten significant amounts of air entrained in the system.

We only need to cycle maybe one out of 50 to 100 cars, usually because we had to open the system up for repairs, or the car came in on a flatbed with the system already open. Otherwise, the Motive pressure bleed system is used in the normal bleed/flush sequence............. You're fine.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #3

If I were you I'd avoid taking my car there. If they specialize aircooled cars they know very little about the newer watercooled Pcars.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #4

I took my car to a local indy once, who specialized in air-cooled. One of the jobs was to change the oil. The owner, who was supposed to be the brains behind the shop, was checking my oil level with the dipstick with the engine running. I said, "Aren't you supposed to check the oil level with the engine off?". He yelled into the shop, "Hey ____, are you supposed to check the oil level in these with the engine off?" Haven't been back.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #5

I assume that's because they are dry-sump and can't check the oil level when the engine is off.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #6

Last year I completed a few repairs / updates on my Boxster in the spring. Before doing so I stopped by a couple of independent shops to see if they would / could do the work. I am far from a certified mechanic but after seeing / talking to a few that supposedly were, I decided to tackle the jobs myself. True story; while talking to a local shop owner I witnessed he and his lead mechanic removing a 996 headlight assembly, took them 45 minutes.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #7

I use a pressure bleeder to flush my '02 Box with great results (JFP certainly knows)...don't forget to flush the clutch system while you're at it. Changing oil on these cars is a snap, though not much less oil than my various 911s over the years. Has become a bit more complicated, as Jake Raby suggests pulling the sump plate to check for debris; adds time/effort, but gives payback in peace of mind.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 01-08-2011 at 05:30 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #8

Garage
thanks

for all your support,

i haven't had them work on my car yet, they are recognized locally as good shop for the aircooled cars.

the need for the computer to flush was also conveyed to us when talking the new vws, and it sounds like the same pile of incomplete information.

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote