Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatz
I now know (after the fact of the failure, and after learning of the defect only from the internet), that I was the poster child for IMS failure risk. I only changed oil at the Porsche-recommended intervals (15k miles; 0W40 Mobil1; dealer servicing), drove the car mildly (40 mi 2-way commute druing the week at moderate freeway speeds), and let the car sit for extended periods during winter, using another car. I think there may have been warning signs (something I now think may have been bearing grinding noise), but I didn't know I needed to be vigilant for these signs, so I didn't pay attention. Believe me, if I had known, I would have behaved differently. The mechanic at the dealer was probably checking for metal in the filter, but no one told me I should be listening for bearing noises.
Yep, I believe these cars need to be driven at least 10 minutes after startup to get all the water moister out of the oil and change the oil at least every 4000 miles. I drive mine every day, so I could not guess how often one should start these vehicles if they are sitting the garage?? I have 2001 Boxster with 210,000 miles on it. I am currently in the middle of replacing my IMS bearing. I started the project today, I should finish sometime tomorrow. I am going to start another thread and post some pictures.

Jager

Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #22

Crate Engine????

Just my 2¢. If I were to spend $18k for a new engine, I think I would look into some of the other alternatives besides putting back in a crate engine that has known faults and weaknesses. There are other engines that cost roughly the same that have many changes and updates that address those issues. Anyone who frequents this forum knows where they are from. I won't name them so it will not appear that I am promoting their products and services, but if I was going to spend the money on a new engine, it won't be at the dealer.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Just my 2¢. If I were to spend $18k for a new engine, I think I would look into some of the other alternatives besides putting back in a crate engine that has known faults and weaknesses. There are other engines that cost roughly the same that have many changes and updates that address those issues. Anyone who frequents this forum knows where they are from. I won't name them so it will not appear that I am promoting their products and services, but if I was going to spend the money on a new engine, it won't be at the dealer.
Your may be right. But I had consulted with 2 independent Porsche machanics in my area that both recommended the crate engine (probably out of an inherent distrust of fooling around with nature). The rebuilders involve shipping long distances and very long delays (I'd miss the entire summer of driving my Boxster). There would be the uncertainty that my core would be rebuildable until it (actually the whole car) was shipped across the country and examined by the rebilder, whereas I was guaranteed by the dealer Porsche would not charge me a core fee. I am told the Porsche crate engine comes with virtually all of the attached external parts new (I don't know how much of this is supplied new by the rebuilder and how much is reused). The Porsche engine comes with a 2 yr warrantee vs 1 yr for the rebuilder. And finally, while there is lots of data (or at least many internet reporst) on the (relatively) small failure rate of the IMS in original Porsche engines, I haven't seen any reports of the success rate of the IMS modification - the numbers are probably too small to be meaningful relative to the much larger population of stock Porsche engines.

At least this time around I'll know to change my oil much more frequently, drive harder without periods of disuse and listen for bearing noises. Perhaps periodically remove the IMS bearing plate and inspect. And pray. What should I really have done? Sell the car for parts. But human beings are inherently illogical.

dmatz is offline   Reply With Quote