Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #1

How does the roll bar trim come off?

I have a plastic ticking sound behind my head that reveals itself when the car flexes or twists. At first I thought it was the radio speaker box but it still happens with that removed so then I thought it was the engine cover but adding a bunch of extra weatherstripping didn't make any difference.

Now I think it might be the trim pieces on the forward side of the roll bar and I want to take them off as an experiment but I don't see any fasteners. How does this trim come off? I figured I'd ask first before just yanking on it.

Any tips on getting rid of the plastic ticking sound would be appreciated in the event others have solved it. I'm only guessing about it coming from the roll bar trim, although I can produce some ticking sounds when I wiggle it around.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

do you have a windscreen? if you do, it's been known to make noise like that. replacement clips from the dealer solve the issue.

if it's NOT the windscreen & you want to remove the trim, you have to pry it off. it's pretty hard.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #3

I had to take off the roll bar cover you mention to replace a broken clip for the windscreen. The roll bar cover does just pull off but it is hard to do and several of the plastic clips that hold the cover on sacrificed themselves in the process. I could not move my cover around as you describe so that may be where your noise is coming from. I would be prepared to replace the plastic clips that hold the cover to the roll bar if you remove it. The covers may have been removed before and the clips not replaced. That would explain the movement you describe. I bought some nylon removal tools from Amazon and I got the replacement clips form ******************************************** (no affiliation to either).

Good luck, finding the noise
rlbccb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #4

Got the middle lower trim piece off and didn't break any clips although they distorted and I'll need to figure out something to put it back securely. Maybe I'll need new clips. Unfortunately the plastic ticking sound remains so that wasn't the real problem. It sounds similar to the tick you sometimes hear in dashboards. Like two pieces of plastic in a "stick, slip" mode. Guess I'll take the motor cover off again (about the 6th time) and see if I can try another "fix".
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
My favorite tool for this is a plastic spreader with soft rounded edges. Start at one end and work it up slowly. The plastic retainers get pretty ugly but can still be reused several times.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

Garage
move your seat up towards the wheel one notch. it may be the top rear of the seat just kissing the bar.
TWODAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K
Got the middle lower trim piece off and didn't break any clips although they distorted and I'll need to figure out something to put it back securely. Maybe I'll need new clips. Unfortunately the plastic ticking sound remains so that wasn't the real problem. It sounds similar to the tick you sometimes hear in dashboards. Like two pieces of plastic in a "stick, slip" mode. Guess I'll take the motor cover off again (about the 6th time) and see if I can try another "fix".

I have this sound also in my car. drives me insane. I believe it is coming from the bow for the top behind the drivers head.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote