Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #1

Just wrecked my car......

We just got some more snow here in the Dayton Ohio area and after an unusual night where I was the D.D, after wrapping up an night of strip clubs, I got back to my car and decided to head home. Before I left I knew it was a bad idea but there was nowhere to sleep and my bed sounded good so off I went. Was putting down the highway at about 40mph and it just completely kicked sideways. Tried my best to save it, but no luck. Ended up down the ditch sideways into some smaller trees just before a fence.

I was the only one in the car and I didnt get hurt nor did any of the airbags go off or anything like that. Couldnt open my door because it was pinned against a tree. Climbed out the side. The trees folded the mirror back, but I don't think its broke..

I just called for a ride but before they got there, the police showed up. Didn't site me or anything and told me I could just leave it there for now, so my cars is just sitting about 20 feet off the road in the ditch as I type this.

Guess tomorrow morning I'll grab a chainsaw and try to cut down some of those trees before attempting to pull it out.

This was my first nice car I've ever owned. Bought it last year after getting out of college. I just recently put the thing on craigslist because I don't have the $ to do the upkeep. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise. If its totaled I'll see about buying it back and parting it out.

Keep ya posted.
Jake <---------**************** luck

Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #2

Hi Jake,

Sorry to here about your misadventure into the ditch. I have to admit that sudden rear end kick out in the snow happens to me sometimes. So far each time I have been able to correct and keep it on the road. I worry about my wife as she is the daily driver of the car. Although I give her my 4x4 if there is snow on the ground when we leave for work.

Does anybody have any input to properly explain this phenominom ?
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
tires, tires, tires.

glad you're okay jake.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

phenominom (sp)

My best guess would be that having a regular differential will make the car rotate around the cg if one of the rear tires loses traction and the other one drives the car around the cg pivot point. I know that if you have a locking diff, the car will drive straight in slippery conditions. It just won't turn very well because both rears are trying to drive the car straight ahead.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #5

My guess would be a fairly abrupt lift of the throttle, causing the rears to lock slightly and lose grip. We see it on the track all the time with newer drivers and it would be magnified under the slick conditions (and likely incorrect tires for situation).

Sorry to hear, but sometimes we all learn the hard way; at least you're in one piece.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

I replaced my tires this summer and although they weren't the best, they were all seasons and still had plenty of tread. Ive had it get squirrely before in the snow from lifting off the gas so I was making sure not to do that. Wasn't changing gears or anything like that. My guess is I hit some ice or just a different patch and my left wheel broke loose. I'm sure at some point I oversteered, but it was probably too far gone to make a difference.

Gotta run to the family business(butcher shop) to take care of a few patients (animals) and then go try to pull this thing out and check out the damage.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Carnut

Sorry to hear and glad you're ok!!!

The old 3-series BMW were famous for kicking the rear end out, happened to me and my brother back in the day, just driving in (on?) the snow and with out any warning rear end lost traction = 360 in traffic! Same in the rain, practically not predictable.

I guess driving right at the edge of traction the tiniest impact can make the difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

Cars come and go. As long as you walked away is the important thing. Hang in there.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
Having good tires is key. I regularly drive in the snow and have not had my rear end kick out unexpectedly with my current tire setup. I have to try to make it go out of control.
As for having locking differentials, that would make it much worse in the snow than having open differentials.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

The most important thing is that you're alive and not hurt! Money is something that can be recovered, but chronic pains last a lifetime.

Last thanksgiving I was driving my dad's Mercedes S500 through a snowstorm, I noticed that something as simple as a big truck overtaking me was enough to make the car twitch into a drift (that being said, the rear's on that car are pretty worn), luckily I was able to catch every one before they become a problem. I think rwd cars are just prone to oversteering in bad conditions. Even as far as all season tires go, there are some that are meant to work in snow, and some that are good in mild rain/snow conditions.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #11

Well I went to get the car with some chainsaws and lopers in hand and after cutting down a bunch of smaller trees I started looking at the damage and..... I cant find any besides a few scratches. It was getting dark but I pulled it under the gas station lights and could not find any major damage. Looked underneath and don't see anything noticeable there either. I may have just got super lucky.

But... When I went to pull it out, I followed my owners manual that said the tow hook goes behind the license plate. I took all that off and there was no access hole. I end up taking the bumperettes off and still nothing. I ended up putting a strap through both of the bumperette mounts to pull the car out. Unfortunately, the right side mount broke off. I wasn't wanting to use those, but it was getting dark and I couldn't find an alternative.

Does anyone know where the tow hook is suppose to go on an 00S? Could the bumper be aftermarket and nobody cut the access hole out? Guess I'm going to have to drop the rear bumper and try to weld up the mount.

Guess overall if thats the most of my problems, then I still came out very fortunate.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #12

Sorry about your misfortune. The tow hook hole is on the front bumper behind a small round cover, just pop it off witha small screwdriver. I found out this year that "all-weather" tires don't work all that well on the Boxster. I've been out in snow with them and they are really hard to control. In the past I put Blizzaks on the car and it was quite drivable. If your running the summer tires your really in for trouble. Good luck!