Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #1

Talking Picking up my new 987

I'll be picking up my new 987 after 5 months of wait.
Any advise on what to watch out for? Does it come with 2 keys? Any rattling prone areas that I should check before I pay? Does it come with front license bracket installed? etc... Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by kskimtahoe; 05-19-2005 at 04:07 PM.
kskimtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #2

Talking

Def. comes with two keys. If req by law, the plate holder and plate should be affixed by your dealer.

Dunno on the rattles.

Best of luck with your new ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #3

With any luck your dealer will not have put on the front license plate and you'll have the option of whether or not you want those holes drilled in the front.

Congrats! Take pictures. What options did you get?

So far I think I might have a small rattle from the passenger door, but I can't tell for sure. Other than that, rock-solid.

You might want to check the battery cover though--it's not a very well-made piece and its a little bowed on mine at the edges--looks sloppy. I looked under the hood of others on the lot though and they all had the same problem to some degree.

Oh also, they forgot to poke the hole in the carpet for my floor mat peg--you might check that before driving off.

Last edited by eslai; 05-19-2005 at 04:05 PM.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #4

Options & front license

I got Tiptronics, heated front seats & power seats (Red/Blk/Blk). (Options heavily influenced by my wife who doesn't like sticks). I'm in CA. If I remember from driver's license test that I took about 15 years ago, front license wasn't required. Did it change?

Thanks

kskimtahoe
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #5

Talking

Yes, CA requires front plate and will ticket you if you do not have it. The dealer should mount this for you free of charge.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskimtahoe
I got Tiptronics, heated front seats & power seats (Red/Blk/Blk). (Options heavily influenced by my wife who doesn't like sticks). I'm in CA. If I remember from driver's license test that I took about 15 years ago, front license wasn't required. Did it change?

Thanks

kskimtahoe
Old 05-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #6

" With any luck your dealer will not have put on the front license plate and you'll have the option of whether or not you want those holes drilled in the front."

Does the 987 not leave the factory with mounting holes for the front plate? I believe they would since front plates are required in alot of European countries, plus several other places in the world. Personnally, I hate front plates and I am an outlaw for not mounting mine I guess Just picked up some bumper plugs to plug up the holes.

Last edited by Adam; 05-19-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:08 PM   #7

no rattles on mine and and the one i test drove...the car mags mention a rattle from the wind screen, but nothing onmine...in maryland front tag is required , so i put it on....although for my 360 i didnt....havent gotten a ticket yet...
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #8

Driver side door/dash rattle

Mine is solid except for a rattle that is either coming from the top front of the driver side door and/or dash near the door.

The rattle only occurs when driving over rough pavement.

Has anyone else had this problem?
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Lux

Front plates? We don't need no stinkin' front plates!

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:47 AM   #10

mine's a 986, but there's a minor rattle on some occassions in the driver's door. probably a resonant frequency that gets reached once in a while. prior owner took it to the dealer under warranty, dealer "did something", still rattles. she said it bothered her. doesn't really bother me at all, I'm far too busy enjoyed the engine sounds and setting up the next corner. I'm guessing it could maybe be in the window lift somewhere?
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Does the 987 not leave the factory with mounting holes for the front plate? I believe they would since front plates are required in alot of European countries, plus several other places in the world. Personnally, I hate front plates and I am an outlaw for not mounting mine I guess Just picked up some bumper plugs to plug up the holes.
I think like most cars it comes with two little indentations where you'd drill the holes for the mounting bracket. That's what mine has.

I'll put the front plate on if I ever get a fix-it ticket, but until then, the car gets to smile.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #12

Talking free floormats

Picked up my car on Friday. Thanks for all the replies.

No front plate bracket yet but the dealer said I can bring the car back anytime to get the holes drilled. My big surprise was the floor mats. I didn't feel like spending $120 for floor mats & didnt' include it in one of the options. The car came with the mats non-the-less. My sales guy told me that they now come standard although you can still pay for it during order process.

I was also told that Porshe does run motors at various speeds at the factory to break-it in & I don't really need to break-in the engine other than keeping it below 4K RPM for the first couple of thousand miles. How did other folks break-in their engines? Did you like the results?

Thanks

kskimtahoe

PS. Still trying to wipe the smile off my face
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #13

Talking

"I don't really need to break-in the engine other than keeping it below 4K RPM for the first couple of thousand miles. How did other folks break-in their engines? Did you like the results?"

That is about right. If it were me and I was going to keep the Box very long term, I would do an oil change at 1000 miles and then again at 10K.

But then, I am anal on the oil change thing!