Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #41
Ex Esso kid

Glad you found the one, along the same theme of your question: I always wanted an S and may buy my first new Porsche ever next year. However, in shopping on the site, if you take a base boxster, add PSE, 19" 911 turbo wheels, pdk and limited slip you are still wayyy under an S in cost optioned with only PDK. So the question is, does the base boxster currently in the lineup at 255 hp a fun enough toy. It's chasis is newer than my 986 for sure but the 255 is hauling more weight as well, what say you guys?

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #42

Stephan, you can purchase a cubby and swap it out in less than a minute. Just pop the lower tray out by pulling on the sides and then reach back and pop the CD tray out forward and replace it. Sometimes, popping off the left or right knee plate (pull toward the outside of the car from the back and it will release) is necessary.

Someone else will have to inform you on the stereo head unit swap. I think the 2002 model and up is using fiber optics (the MOST system) so a simple head unit swap will probably not work, but it's certainly doable because other boxster owners here have installed very nice audio/nav systems in their cars.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Silverman View Post
After much study I just bought a 2002 Boxster S in Speed Yellow with manual transmission and 50K miles for $17,000.00. The was first checked out for me by a Porsche only mechanic. There aren't many options on this one but I don't care. Sorry no PSM but I'm a conservative driver anyway. Tires are new, top is fine, clutch is new, rear shaft seal has been fixed, etc. Pretty much not a scratch on the exterior. Seats are perfect.

Love the car. Really enjoying it.

Would like a stereo that has bluetooth and iphone /ipod connection.

Also would like to pull out the cd trays and put a cubby in there.

Any ideas?
yeah, upgrade the IMS before you spend a dime on anything.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #44

first thing I did was change the oil on my 02 S....Motul 8100...old oil was clean and filter had no particles, but I did it for peace of mind.......probably going to do the IMS with my tax return this year, already had a new clutch.

enjoy your S!!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #45

Garage
After much study I just bought a 2002 Boxster S in Speed Yellow

Congrats ! Only real men can pull off yellow !!
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #46

Garage
Quote:
After much study I just bought a 2002 Boxster S in Speed Yellow with manual transmission and 50K miles for $17,000.00. The was first checked out for me by a Porsche only mechanic. There aren't many options on this one but I don't care. Sorry no PSM but I'm a conservative driver anyway. Tires are new, top is fine, clutch is new, rear shaft seal has been fixed, etc. Pretty much not a scratch on the exterior. Seats are perfect.

Love the car. Really enjoying it.

Would like a stereo that has bluetooth and iphone /ipod connection.

Also would like to pull out the cd trays and put a cubby in there.

Any ideas?
Well done! Excellent choice! If you do a search here & Rennlist.com forum you will find options for stereos & ipod connections to oem stereo. ( It's not just coincedence that the happy faces are yellow )
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #47

Quote:
I want a used Boxster and am on a limited budget. I would like to spend around $20,000.

I was told to absolutely get the S for the performance and absolutely get a 2003 or later. What do you experienced owners think? Are these important? I do like as much performance I can get from a stock car. But does the S matter that much and why a 2003?
Steve
No one "needs" an S. However, often men with small.... oh, never mind.
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #48
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster101 View Post
The only reason I see is torque, the feel of acceleration, I'm sure direct injection makes an S a rocketship. As far as the reference, most people will tag you for that just having the keys, model is moot.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #49
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Well done Stephan, yellow is classic for a Boxster, it was my original choice but all the good ones kept getting away. Have you posted pics?

Ghostrider - definitely drive both if you are looking at the newest models. I was looking at 2009 and newer ones myself and just assumed I wouldn't buy anything but an 'S', however now I'm beginning to think the new base models might be quite nice. If you do test drive let us know your thoughts.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #50
Matt

YOU TOOK 11 MONTHS TO BUY A CAR? Man that would have been unbearable to me. Good buy. Congratulations. You can add iPod connection to your radio. If you're driving the Porsche like you should be, you should not be on the phone - bluetooth or not!

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 11-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #51

Garage
I'm sorry for the off-topic post: I have a friend who is trying to sell his '01S in speed yellow, with 61k, brand new top, litronics, etc. He's not on this forum. He's restoring a 356, so he's selling the Boxster to have the interior restored in the 356 or something??? (jk!) Just thought I'd throw it out here on this forum because he's asking an extremely low price for this car. If I didn't have one already, I'd buy it myself!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster101 View Post
I think you went a little far with that one. It's all in how you use the car. You need an "S" if you are tracking it or trying to impress other Porsche owners. The "S" model could blow my doors off in a drag race or on the track, but so what, I don't drag race or go to the track. Personally I don't know very darned many Porsche owners who do. Many talk, few act. On the streets where I live, my base Cayman is every bit as fast as an "S" any place I drive within the speed limit. In fact, it doesn't even matter because some kid in a Corolla will always go faster than you on the highway just because I won't risk a speeding ticket. Waste of money for an "S." For me, that is. YMMV.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #53
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Well done Stephan, yellow is classic for a Boxster, it was my original choice but all the good ones kept getting away. Have you posted pics?

Ghostrider - definitely drive both if you are looking at the newest models. I was looking at 2009 and newer ones myself and just assumed I wouldn't buy anything but an 'S', however now I'm beginning to think the new base models might be quite nice. If you do test drive let us know your thoughts.

I'm with you on this, 255 hp used to be the S motor output, and as another poster put it how fast can you go? My 2.5 with headers and underpulley felt damn fast, seems a 2012 base should too. You can get some cool stuff with the savings too like a sport exhaust and 19" lightweight wheels, I'm thinking about this too, but will likely look for a used S, not for top end but for the feel of acceleration you should get from 320 directly injected ponies.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #54
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
... On the streets where I live, my base Cayman is every bit as fast as an "S" any place I drive within the speed limit. In fact, it doesn't even matter because some kid in a Corolla...
True. My S is just as fast as every other car doing 55, 65, or 75. No need to impress anyone but me. There are plenty of cars on the road faster than mine but, I am currently undefeated in races with Vipers, AMG's, Cobras, Z06 Vettes and Chevettes............because I don't race any of them.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #55

"To S or not to S"........is an entirely personal decision, there is no right or wrong. I chose a base model because I wanted a newer, lower mileage car, at a given price point. If cost wasn't an issue, for me, H.P. is like money; you can't have too much of it!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #56

I cant believe some people think the S rides rough....does not ride any stiffer than my BMW X3....matter of fact, with my tax return its getting coilovers! People dont realize just how quick a "S" is, from the stop light not that many cars short of a Vette will match you (and I bet you will keep up with an early C5) The top gear acceleration on the highway is amazing to me
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #57

I'v always thought this argument is backwards. for the track or autocross, the 2.7 and 2.5 engines are more than enough power to get you into the same trouble that a 3.2 and 3.4 will land you in.

For real world situations, like overtaking cars on the merge lane, getting past a minivan with some nearly 300 HP engine and the improved S brakes (same as on the Carrera) could be the difference between avoiding a near miss accident -- an insane number of accidents would be avoided if the driver had just one extra second to react. I see more benefits to the extra power and braking on the street than most realize, granted they are also great in competition and instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
I think you went a little far with that one. It's all in how you use the car. You need an "S" if you are tracking it or trying to impress other Porsche owners. The "S" model could blow my doors off in a drag race or on the track, but so what, I don't drag race or go to the track. Personally I don't know very darned many Porsche owners who do. Many talk, few act. On the streets where I live, my base Cayman is every bit as fast as an "S" any place I drive within the speed limit. In fact, it doesn't even matter because some kid in a Corolla will always go faster than you on the highway just because I won't risk a speeding ticket. Waste of money for an "S." For me, that is. YMMV.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #58
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I'v always thought this argument is backwards. for the track or autocross, the 2.7 and 2.5 engines are more than enough power to get you into the same trouble that a 3.2 and 3.4 will land you in.
Good point! I know if I start tracking I'll want to start with less power, probably will keep me out of a ditch
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #59

With higher horsepower car at the track, it's easier to make mistakes you can't correct. That's why no one is given a 500hp vette to learn how to drive.

That being said, I do like the S brakes which I ended up getting. I had to make a last second emergency stop just few weeks ago, had I not have Porsche brakes I would've rammed into the car in front of me.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #60

I don't think the "S" H.P. would be a problem on track, even for a newbie, it's still not close to 'Vette territory. The Boxster chassis is much more forgiving than the Corvette, and you can leave the stability control on, or short-shift to moderate power application.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote